Fuel/oil or exhaust odor - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 58 Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Fuel/oil or exhaust odor

I'm leasing a 2015 Trax LT. 12,000 + miles already... Sheesh! I've been noticing a fuel or exhaust type odor in the cabin after startup. Usually abates after driving awhile. Seems to me like that shouldn't happen.
I'm also noticing a fair amount of wind or road noise from the passenger side as I'm driving. Not sure if the two are related. Weather seals intact and door fit seems OK.
Anyone else run into this?

Beyond that I'm reasonably satisfied with this ride. Decent mileage and enough soup to pass when I pin it.
post #2 of 58 Old 01-23-2016, 08:38 PM

I would first check to see if the windows are up all the way, and that the doors are closing completely, then make sure the rear hatch is closing tightly.

Also take a look around the tail pipe, you may have backed into something, that would hinder the exhaust gases escaping past the rear bumper.

I think everything should still be covered under the warranty
post #3 of 58 Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 PM

I have noticed some interesting smells coming from my 2016 Trax too. I think that's because it is still new. One day I thought I was smelling something burning from the engine, but it went away. I do smell a faint gas smell when the heater is on too. I'm wondering if those odd smells will just go away with time.

post #4 of 58 Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Some parts like the exhaust system have labels on them when the car gets hot they start to burn off.

The heat/ac system will pick up outside air then heat it or cool it then blow it into the car, next time you smell something put the heater on recirculate.

The smell will not go away instantly but it will not pick up more.
post #5 of 58 Old 01-29-2016, 09:31 PM

I will take that into consideration. I actually like the outside air coming in, especially when I'm near a Portillos or a restaurant. The only reason I don't like the recirculate is because the windows tend to fog up in the winter when it is extremely cold and I have the heater on. The car heats up very quickly when I start driving it which is nice. Now, in regards to those labels that you are talking about, do I need to remove them? Does it matter?
post #6 of 58 Old 01-29-2016, 10:08 PM

Those stickers should be long gone from your car at a few hundred miles or a trip on the interstate, they should have burned off.

If you still have that smell after putting on a few hundred miles on your car, take it by the dealer let him look to see if you have anything leaking, for safety sake its worth a look.
post #7 of 58 Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 PM

Hi I have the same problem. I bought a 2015 Chevy Trax in Oct. 2015 and I have been smelling gas fumes also. This happens when I remote start. Have you found a solution or spoke to the service dept at your dealer where you bought it.
Thanks
Judy
post #8 of 58 Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Remote starting it shouldn't be any different than if you started it from inside the car.

Are you smelling gas or are you smelling exhaust, gas can be from spillage or the gas cap not on tight

Exhaust can be any from a loose exhaust joint either at the engine or under the car, or just the rear hatch door not closed all the way.

You should get in touch with the dealer, exhaust fumes can be dangerous to be safe crack a window when driving, until you have it checked out.
post #9 of 58 Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 PM

Uh oh I have a feeling a recall is coming if most of us smell gas fumes inside the car. Right now I just turn on the recirculate so I don't smell the outside air and fumes which seems to work. I don't see any leaking anywhere outside the vehicle so I am wondering if this is normal. I opened the hood and all the caps on the fluids seem to be on very tight. Oil cap is on tight too. Very odd that some of us are smelling gas from inside the vehicle.
post #10 of 58 Old 02-19-2016, 12:34 PM

If you are in traffic you will pick up fumes from the cars in front of you because the fresh air system picks up air just behind the hood near the windshield wiper panel.

Most cars today have virtually no smell but there are those cars with failing emissions systems that stink like old cars did, if you are behind an older car with a carburetor they smell the worst.

Makes me wonder how I'm still living, after breathing in all those fumes, from all those old cars I worked on and used since I was 13.

I tried turning off my fresh air in my Trax, what that does is fog the windows, after a little while and recirculates the air inside the car.

If you start to smell fumes you can turn off the outside air, but it does take a few minutes to notice the difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page