Any one else's Passenger Sensing System Malfunctioning? - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bswarm

post #1 of 7 Old 08-30-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Any one else's Passenger Sensing System Malfunctioning?

I bought my 2016 Trax about a month ago and the passenger sensing system ( airbag sensor) turns off while passenger is still in the seat.
post #2 of 7 Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 AM

Obviously an issue to be looked at sooner than later. Only reason it might shut off is if passenger in seat does not weigh enough to safely allow air bag deployment.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-31-2016, 11:53 AM

This is part of the new air bag system, if there is no weight on the passengers seat the air bag for that side will not deploy.

In the even that you hit something, with only yourself in the car only the driver side air bags will deploy, what this does is cost less if the car should be able to be repaired.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I am sorry, I didn't properly explaine the whole situation. I know how the passenger sensing system is supposed to work and the dealership has confirmed that the sensor in the passenger seat is defective. The car has been at the dealership for almost 3 weeks. I received a call yesterday from the dealership because they said the part has been hard to find because it is a wide spread problem among the 2016 Chevy Trax. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with their Trax because they said the problem was wide spread.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-01-2016, 09:38 AM

WOW
You had the car for a month and it has spent 3 weeks in the shop. I would tell them they owe you a months car payment.

Do you specifically know what the failed part is?

I once had a safety related issue on a new style GM car that needed a part that was not in the parts pipeline yet. It was the turn signal switch had broken internally. It was right about that time I got the call from GM to see how I liked my new car after owning it for a month. I explained the problem and got a call from the dealer a few minutes later saying that they were ordered by GM to come and pick up my car with a flatbed, and that same flatbed would deliver a loaner, and they were to cannibalize a new car on the lot to get the part I needed. They should never have let me drive home with no turn signals.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #6 of 7 Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 AM

That is extremely odd and unsafe. Passenger airbag turning off whilst the passenger is STILL in the seat. 3 weeks seems like a real long time for them to figure that out though. It would be nice if they could let you know what the heck the part was as well. Hopefully this isn't a common issue otherwise I could definitely see a recall coming for that
post #7 of 7 Old 09-09-2016, 03:47 PM

I just read an article on BBC news about 4 million GM vehicles being recalled for airbag and seatbelt software problems, including 2014-2017 Chevy Trax http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37321361
I'm sure everyone will be notified, GM was pretty quick when my Saturns were recalled.
Edit: I entered my vin# at the GM recall website and this recall is listed.
sdi likes this.

Last edited by bswarm; 09-09-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page