after two years.... - Chevy Trax Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 11-14-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
after two years....

Been driving my Trax for two years now. I live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. Here is a brief summary of expectations vs delivery:
I expected: A reliable AWD performance.
Delivery: Yes, the awd system functions perfectly from snow to deep sand to normal road conditions. Never lost track at any time.

I expected: fuel economy.
Delivery: in summer great fuel economy, in winter great gas guzzler. The engine has to work hard in winter pushing car forward and heating the interior. There is no fuel economy in winter, period.

I expected: a car that theoretically starts 80 times a day.
Delivery: yes, it never showed it could not do that. In city car in car out stop here stop there and every time shut down and start again. It certainly was designed to do just that.

I expected: nice easy space making by folding the rear benches.
Delivery: I am 6' 1" tall and I need my chair pushed back fairly far. The trax allows that.\ and gives me plenty of room. That said, this scenario won't let the rear seat fold forward flat. It can be folded flat but you have to push front chair fairly forward and erect.. None the less I have transported quiet a variety of cargo from 3 garbage bags full of empty bottles to 4 boxes full of playground sand.

Did install a grill cover and that heats up the interior quiet faster in winter.

All in all a good choice for my requirements

Rudi
TraxAdmin and Benny Reizanto like this.
post #2 of 14 Old 11-17-2016, 10:45 AM

Did you know if you take out the left side rear seat lower cushion, you can get the drivers seat back a little more, (there are 2 nuts I believe they were 13mm, the seat then lifts right out)

I always keep my rear seats folded down, I found all you had to do was take out 2 bolts that hold the rear seat lower cushion, then fold the back down the front seat will go back a bit further.

It also gives you more storage room, on the rear floor under the seat back, I kept small items there I needed.

On my Buick with power seats the electric motor will push the seat back even further than the Trax did.

If you don't need to use the rear seats take both sides lower cushions out, that will open up space for some of the things that you might need to carry, you can now carry them and they will be out of sight.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-17-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Unfortunately I regularly have passengers, but I like the idea.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 AM

You can do it on one side if you wish but it all depends on how many people you need to have room for in the back.

The rear seats come out with just 2 nuts on studs, it takes less than 5 minutes to take them out
rmouthaan likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2016, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the 2 year update

80 times a day starting is quite an excessive theory. Understandably that's an exaggerated number but realistically, it'll be able to do it for a while but I'm in to see how long it takes for the starter motor to show signs of wear and tear.
rmouthaan likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Winters here in Canada are hard on the engines. My old Grand Am v-6 3.4 liter engine was not up to 10 times starting a day without draining that battery. Plus with short distance driving in town it didn't get time to load the battery. I had a battery trickle loader installed: every time I plug in the block heater the battery gets trickle loaded as well. I had the trickle loader also installed in the trax. With the Grand Am I had maximum two year battery life, i think the Trax battery lasts longer.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-24-2016, 11:53 AM

Oh wow, okay so now it makes sense as to where the concern would come from. I thought there was sufficient driving time with the alternator re-charging the battery so it'll sustain itself. Guess not. That's clever to install a trickle charger in line with the block heater though, never heard of anyone doing that. How big is that trickle loader though ??
post #8 of 14 Old 11-28-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The trickle loader is a small box 4x4x1 inch only. cost about $120 Can.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-29-2016, 11:04 AM

You can pick up float chargers at Harbor Freight for around 10 USD, I use them on my vehicles, I have been using them for over 15 years once and a great while I have one quit working.
These are very small you can fit them almost anywhere and they are water proof so you can put them just about anywhere, all you would have to do is change the ends on the wires so you could bolt them to your terminals.

They are so cheap I keep a few of them on hand.

Also in my Buick I keep a jump starter plugged into the 110 outlet on the back of the center consul, winters here are not as bad as Canada but I do keep it to help others who leave their lights on or battery failure.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM

To be honest, I had to google that float charger thing and that is pretty darn cool. Just hook it on and plug it into the wall. Really can't go wrong with that at all. Maybe I'll order some over or take a walk at the local Princess Auto and see if they have anything good in house. Weathers starting to get pretty cold so I gotta get a move on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page