Remote starter - Chevy Trax Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 12-28-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Remote starter

Just bought 2016 Chevy Trax LS. Would like to get remote starter, dealership said no starters for it. If I buy it & get installed some where else. Will it void the warranty?
post #2 of 22 Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 AM

No it won't void the warranty, find a best buy store or a competent radio installer in your area tell them you want the basic unit.

The more complicated it is the more can go wrong, a basic starter is all you need.

There is a law protecting people who install aftermarket things to their cars, they can't void your warranty.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-29-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
No it won't void the warranty, find a best buy store or a competent radio installer in your area tell them you want the basic unit.

The more complicated it is the more can go wrong, a basic starter is all you need.

There is a law protecting people who install aftermarket things to their cars, they can't void your warranty.
They can not void your warranty unless the aftermarket item caused the failure, they have to prove that not just claim it, then they can only not cover that failure, still not void the whole warranty.

For instance if you made engine mods to double the torque and horsepower and then blew the transmission, the transmission and all of the driveline would no longer be covered. but the rest of the car still would be.

There should be nothing in a remote start that should push anything out of design parameters so it should have no bearing on the warranty. Just like my aftermarket cruise control should not affect the warranty.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

Last edited by Flyinfool; 12-29-2016 at 04:09 PM.

post #4 of 22 Old 12-30-2016, 09:59 AM

What if the installers made an error and it causes an electrical issue? I've seen it happen a few times which is why I kind of shy away from them.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-30-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTie View Post
What if the installers made an error and it causes an electrical issue? I've seen it happen a few times which is why I kind of shy away from them.

I wouldn't let a back yard guy install a remote starter, but I would let a large company that has insurance against system failure, there are so many things you need to work around you need someone with real world experience on GM models.

I have spoken to someone who had a viper alarm installed at a private ran installer, it was on a Jeep, on a few occasions the car had to be towed because it wouldn't let the owner in the car.(Viper is a good brand name but when you try to override one system with another there is bound to be trouble)

That is why I say the less the unit does the better it is, (start the car and maybe open the door is good enough) more is just more that can go wrong.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-30-2016, 01:00 PM

If the installer makes an error and damages something it will not be covered under the GM warranty, BUT the installer that did the damage is liable to fix the damage he did, so it is still covered. That is why you need to have it done at a reliable place that will have insurance to cover any damage they do.
Just because it is done at a big place does not mean the individual working on yours has a clue. I have had some really bad errors done by Best Buy, American TV, Sears.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #7 of 22 Old 01-16-2017, 08:52 PM

I've purchased a remote start which uses the factory F.O.B took me 20 min to install and it works great MPC 2363 Amazon ASIN B00HG1TPB6. works great and customer service is awesome
post #8 of 22 Old 01-18-2017, 10:56 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Vehi.../dp/B00HG1TPB6

This is great news for the people here at the Trax forum who wanted remote start but didn't get it with the LS.

This is a great price for a remote start that is plug and play.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 AM

I did call the place that makes that remote start, it is MPC (MyPushCart)

They have 3 versions available.
basic = You use your existing factory remote and start by pushing the lock button 3 times fast. Run time is user adjustable up to 15 minutes.

2 remote = this comes with 2 remotes that replace the factory remote and will do all of the functions of the factory remote plus the start. Run time can be set up to 30 minutes

Smart = this is controlled thru your smart phone and will give you the lock, unlock start etc as long as the both you and the car are in a place with cell coverage. This also works like the Basic model in that the factory FOB will start the car with 3 quick presses of the lock button. Run time can be set up to 30 minutes. This one comes with 1 year of cell access and it is $30 per year or $60 for 3 year service contract.

I was actually more interested in getting this for my truck than for the Trax.
Caeser99 likes this.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

Last edited by Flyinfool; 01-18-2017 at 12:00 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
I did call the place that makes that remote start, it is MPC (MyPushCart)

They have 3 versions available.
basic = You use your existing factory remote and start by pushing the lock button 3 times fast. Run time is user adjustable up to 15 minutes.

2 remote = this comes with 2 remotes that replace the factory remote and will do all of the functions of the factory remote plus the start. Run time can be set up to 30 minutes

Smart = this is controlled thru your smart phone and will give you the lock, unlock start etc as long as the both you and the car are in a place with cell coverage. This also works like the Basic model in that the factory FOB will start the car with 3 quick presses of the lock button. Run time can be set up to 30 minutes. This one comes with 1 year of cell access and it is $30 per year or $60 for 3 year service contract.

I was actually more interested in getting this for my truck than for the Trax.
If you have a late model Silverado I have a new remote start key fob that I bought for my 2011 Silverado this is the fob that has the remote start icon on it.

Back in 2011 I didn't keep the truck long enough to put the remote start on it, I traded the tuck with 995 miles on it.

If you want it you can have it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page