Why The Trax? - Chevy Trax Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Why The Trax?

I checked out the thread that was sort of a roll call thing and thought it was great. But I'm new here and obviously a lot of you guys are owners so I want to pick your brain a little in regards to the Trax.

I'm currently seated in a chevy camaro and my time has come around where I need to get rid of it because of family reasons. No longer can I be a sporty guy as priorities and responsibilities are knocking on my door.

What I want to ask you all is what did you own before the Trax and what made you purchase (or lease) the Chevy Trax?

I'm sure I'm not the only one getting rid of a toy for this lol.
post #2 of 27 Old 12-30-2016, 10:36 AM

I was always a pickup guy for my 4wd needs, before I decided on the Trax I bought a used Suzuki Grand Vitara, to see if I could haul what I needed and its 4wd capabilities.

I was impressed with its small park anywhere size and how it was so great in the snow, it hauled everything I needed the Trax was even bigger inside than the Suzuki.

I change cars like most people change socks I had a Trax last winter traded it on a Miata, then traded my new Corvette for a Cadillac ATS cp, then flipped that to buy a Buick Encore, all in the first 4 months of 2016.

Car changes are not unusual for me, I had hundreds of cars over my 50+ years of driving, I made a living flipping cars from the age of 13, I owned and drove just about everything I could m hands on, the muscle car era was my most favorite I bought and sold some of the really great cars of that time.( the car I miss the most was a 440-6 pack Cuda that I bought for almost nothing then tippled my money in a few weeks.

If I were you I would find a rental agency in your area rent a Trax or a Buick Encore for a week or weekend take it on a long ride, if you live in a snow region take it up to the mountains get the feel of it, haul some stuff in the back see if the vehicle is right for you.

Its worth a rental fee to not be disappointed after you had it for a week.

If you buy buy at least the 1LT or the Buick Encore Convenience, get the features that everyone winds up installing like cruise and remote start right up front its only going to cost you more later on.(installing the fog lights is easy and cheap on the 1LT, its not worth the money GM wants to move up to the 2LT or LTZ unless you want the sun roof and leather seats)

Last edited by beeguz; 12-30-2016 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-30-2016, 01:05 PM

Back when the Trax was originally release there was just nothing like it aside from products like the Soul, which as great as it is doesn't appeal to everyone, just like how the Trax won't. So during those days, being the Chevrolet loyalist I was it was high up my list of vehicles to get.

post #4 of 27 Old 12-30-2016, 01:13 PM

I still drive my big Silverado, the Trax is the wife's car. Before the Trax she had a Malibu, we both hated it. It was not comfortable to drive any distance, the gas mileage was not much better than my Silverado, and the wife had no clue where the corners of it were. She ran into things 6 times in the 4K miles that we had it. Before that she had a Mercury Mountaineer. She was constantly running into things with that one too and man could that thing drink gas. So far in 15 months she has not hit anything with the Trax, I guess that must mean that it has good visibility. Fingers are still crossed.
I could never give up my Silverado for the trax, It is way to small to haul the things I need to haul and I need real 4X4 to get where I need to go. The Trax does make a great grocery getter. We have not tried it on any kind of long trip, we always seem to take my truck.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #5 of 27 Old 12-31-2016, 01:08 PM

I bought a 2015 AWD Trax LT after having previously owned a series of Jeep Wranglers. While I loved the Jeeps, they really weren't the most practical for hauling a lot of gear and the gas mileage always left a lot to be desired.

I am finding the Trax much more comfortable and yet just as much fun to drive. It handles nicely, has great visibility, and consistently gets 28+ MPG. The ample cargo space and 350 mile range make it a solid rig for long distance road trips.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-01-2017, 12:58 PM

I had two equinox 2010 and 2015 traded in the 2010 the 2016 TRAX was a super deal so far it's been great!!!!!!
post #7 of 27 Old 01-01-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTrax View Post
I bought a 2015 AWD Trax LT after having previously owned a series of Jeep Wranglers. While I loved the Jeeps, they really weren't the most practical for hauling a lot of gear and the gas mileage always left a lot to be desired.

I am finding the Trax much more comfortable and yet just as much fun to drive. It handles nicely, has great visibility, and consistently gets 28+ MPG. The ample cargo space and 350 mile range make it a solid rig for long distance road trips.
I'm surprised you didn't go with the Renegade since often I find most people that are into Jeep products have a hard time moving away from them (for obvious good reasons)

Usually I see them move up or down a segment.

Do you ever see yourself sometime down the road getting the Renegade?
post #8 of 27 Old 01-02-2017, 04:07 PM

Interesting that you mention it because the Renegade absolutely was my second choice this time around. The deciding factor was how much I liked the Sonic that my wife bought in 2013. I expect the Trax to serve me well, so it's unlikely that I'll be looking at anything else for quite some time.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-04-2017, 02:05 PM

For us my wife and I were looking for something with some size and some good gas mileage, two years and almost 50,000 later its been great
post #10 of 27 Old 01-05-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxjay View Post
For us my wife and I were looking for something with some size and some good gas mileage, two years and almost 50,000 later its been great
That's a heck of a lot of distance covered in 2 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page