Snow chains - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Snow chains

What type of traction device do i use on my tires, the manual says no chains. So I'm guessing the cable ones would be fine? I have the 18 inch rim/tire.
Thanks for your help
Robert
post #2 of 14 Old 01-24-2017, 11:08 AM

If you live in an area where chains are required there are some new types of chains that are easier to install and take off.

Here are a few for you to consider.

Check out all the other ideas on you tube I'm sure you will find something that you can use for your driving conditions.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 AM

Just make sure chains and studded tires are okay to use on public roads first. Some cities do not allow it.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-30-2017, 03:24 PM

Definitely be sure to check that out. Where I'm located, if you live in the North, it's okay but only certain types, but if you live in the South and you have them, it's a $1000 fine.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-31-2017, 10:03 AM

Here in Pa you can't put studded tires on before Nov 1, and they must be off by April 15.

I haven't seen chains on cars here in over 50 years, I have seen them on some big trucks during snow storms, but not on cars at all.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-31-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
Here in Pa you can't put studded tires on before Nov 1, and they must be off by April 15.

I haven't seen chains on cars here in over 50 years, I have seen them on some big trucks during snow storms, but not on cars at all.
Have never gotten to drive anything with studded tires on them, how does it feel difference wise between tires that are and aren't studded ?
post #7 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracking View Post
Have never gotten to drive anything with studded tires on them, how does it feel difference wise between tires that are and aren't studded ?
You can hardly tell they are there, I don't use them myself but I know many people who like them.

The studs do come out over time, once you wear the tire down near the end of the tires life, they start popping out.

You can stud just about any snow tire, look for the little round holes near the outer threads, when buying snows ask if they can be studded, there used to be a 10 or 15 dollar up charge for studding each snow tire.

You can't stud an old snow tire, the holes need to be very clean and free of dirt to have the studs stay put, your throwing away money studding old snow tires the studs will fall out fast
post #8 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Best thing to do if you can is to buy tires that are studdable. I know for a fact that Hankook has some tires which allow that.

But one downside is you might discover a tire you like doesn't allow studs from the factory while a tire you don't like as much has the holes built right in.

Just make sure local laws allow you to use studs, some don't.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 02:53 PM

Yea.. I definitely won't be able to use them but I did always wonder what they holes were for on my older winter tires. Thought it was something for traction, didn't know that's where you fit the studs. Thought those just kind... well stuck in randomly lol.

Thanks!
post #10 of 14 Old 02-03-2017, 04:20 PM

Studs make no difference in snow. Studs are a huge improvement on ice.

As mentioned a bunch of times, check your local laws and the laws of anywhere you may travel. Some places studs and/or chains are illegal. Other places don't care, and some places they are required by law.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page