Smearing on Window - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Smearing on Window

Anyone else have this?
post #2 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 02:20 AM

The only time I've ever seen that is with a car parked under a leaky transformer (electrical pole).
post #3 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 AM

If your talking about smearing on the outside of the windows up north, its due to the chemicals they mix in with the road salt.

If I don't wash the salt dust off after a few days, I get a smear it is seen more on the glass than the paint, it is most visible if looking through the windshield into the sun.

If you have problems with inside glass smearing, its caused by the plastics inside of the car giving off gases, leaving this whitish film on the inside of the glass.

Where the weather is hot the plastics give off more gases it leaves a whitish film on the window.

The best thing I can tell you to do with inside glass film is leave a window open a little if you can, it would be a good idea to invest in a set of vent shades.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 10:39 AM

Beeguz hit it right on. I would try to clean it off with some iso-prop alcohol or something to really strip it down though.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzy Marie View Post
Anyone else have this?
Welcome to the forum, Lynzy Marie,

If you have any vehicle questions or concerns, please know that our team is only a private message to further discuss. We welcome the opportunity to assist you directly there.

Kindly,

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
post #6 of 9 Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Just be careful cleaning near the top of the windshield, with alcohol, those little dots sort of melt and cause more smearing.

Just use regular window cleaner at the top of the window, on a few cars I ownd I had problems with the little dots making more smearing.

The dots are put there for some sun protection inside the car, the solid black part is so the glass sealer has something to stick to, the sealer used on regular glass tends to let go over time hence the dots and solid black portion..

The dots are called FRIT http://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-of...on-windshield/
post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
Just be careful cleaning near the top of the windshield, with alcohol, those little dots sort of melt and cause more smearing.

Just use regular window cleaner at the top of the window, on a few cars I ownd I had problems with the little dots making more smearing.

The dots are put there for some sun protection inside the car, the solid black part is so the glass sealer has something to stick to, the sealer used on regular glass tends to let go over time hence the dots and solid black portion..

The dots are called FRIT http://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-of...on-windshield/
I've always wondered what those were!! Thank you Learn something new everyday
post #8 of 9 Old 02-24-2017, 09:56 AM

Garage
Yeah i also get that smearing on the windows effect. Its gets really annoying cause you have the heat on and can still see all these random smudges. It really effects you when its a really sunny day. You cant see nothing cause of all that smearing affect, it really raises the chances of a bad crash to happen. Even after was the inside of my windows with window cleaner, it still looks shitty on a rainy day or when its sunny out.

Caeser99
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 PM

The worst part is when you have to defrost the windshield and you can see everything clearly. That bothers me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page