Air dam/lower deflector - Chevy Trax Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 02-27-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Air dam/lower deflector

I know, I know! I should be more careful.....but is the car really suppose to be this low? It seems like I'm constantly pulling the lower deflector off on parking blocks. I never had this trouble with my Sonic.

My lease is up in 2 years and as much as I like my Trax, I'm considering finding something that sits a little higher.
post #2 of 15 Old 02-27-2017, 02:44 PM

I can't get up my driveway apron without scraping the front end on the ground, and coming in at an angle prevents that but the RR tire comes off the ground. I even trimmed the rubber strip but it still scrapes. When the tires wear out I'm getting bigger 205/75R16 or 215/70R16 instead of the stock 205/70R16 tires. I mentioned this here.

Last edited by bswarm; 02-27-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM

Something doesn't seem right. I have both a Sonic (2012) and a Trax (2015), and the Trax is a decidedly taller vehicle. You should have at least a couple more inches of clearance with the Trax than you did with the Sonic.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM

My Trax AWD was lower than my Buick AWD the Trax has 16" wheels the Buick 18", I could open the oil drain plug by reaching under the front of my Buick, but I had to jack the Trax

It might be he has the LS, or LS FWD they have smaller tires/wheels and sit lower to the ground.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-01-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've got an LT and it's just that rubber piece in the front I have trouble with. When my lease is up I'm taking a tape measure with me to make sure whatever I get next isn't that low.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
My Trax AWD was lower than my Buick AWD the Trax has 16" wheels the Buick 18", I could open the oil drain plug by reaching under the front of my Buick, but I had to jack the Trax

It might be he has the LS, or LS FWD they have smaller tires/wheels and sit lower to the ground.
Is that a Buick Encore? I was looking at them last weekend and it looked like the lower deflector didn't sit as low as the Trax.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM

I have a 16 Encore, the first time I dropped the oil I noticed the difference.

I have 2"of extra wheel height (18") then larger tires (215) lifting the car higher all around.

I can feel the difference when getting in the car the car seat is higher to my body.

This month I installed my winter tires, for a large snow storm, I have a set of 16" snows on wheels that I made up for the Trax, in Trax sizes.

When I went to sit on the seat I noticed that the car was lower, I had lost the 2" on the wheels and probably another 2" on the tires.

The Trax and the Encore may look somewhat alike but the 2 cars are way different in many ways, The Encore is what the Trax should have been from the start.
James and Cinsue like this.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I have a 16 Encore, the first time I dropped the oil I noticed the difference.

I have 2"of extra wheel height (18") then larger tires (215) lifting the car higher all around.

I can feel the difference when getting in the car the car seat is higher to my body.

This month I installed my winter tires, for a large snow storm, I have a set of 16" snows on wheels that I made up for the Trax, in Trax sizes.

When I went to sit on the seat I noticed that the car was lower, I had lost the 2" on the wheels and probably another 2" on the tires.

The Trax and the Encore may look somewhat alike but the 2 cars are way different in many ways, The Encore is what the Trax should have been from the start.
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely thinking of moving to the Encore. But who knows what either one will be like in 2 years when my lease is up.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-02-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
That's what I have been thinking this whole time and being what was one of the first in the segment, looking at what the competition today is doing, Chevy should be having some regrets. However it seems like they want to do incremental upgrades just to see what will get people to budge. Not surprised to see this happen.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 06:23 PM

Is that lower air dam removable? Maybe just shave it down? I know it's not something that's crucial and just hearing the sound of it scraping would bother the heck out of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page