2017 Trax LT - first impressions - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By protovack

post #1 of 8 Old 03-11-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2017 Trax LT - first impressions

I recently bought a silver 2017 Trax LT AWD. I traded in a 15 subaru forester. I had gotten a silverado pickup last year (my first chevrolet), and was surprised how much I liked it. Then when it came time for a new crossover, I decided to go Chevrolet again.

I was open to buying an LS but wanted to drive both LS and LT to compare. I was not looking for a premier--I could afford it but I appreciate more simplicity. My observation--the LS was almost just as nice inside as the LT. Lacking certain touches, like the wrapped steering wheel, the vinyl trim on the seats, but still nice. I think they did a nice job with the interior at all trim levels. I especially like the LT seats--makes the forester's feel like cardboard (and I had the leather). The cloth is nice and soft, the vinyl trim is a nice touch, and they're just comfortable. Ditto for the back seats.

Ultimately I went LT to get roof rack, cruise control, and back seat AC outlet. Those things are super useful. But it wasn't because the LS interior was bad. I would have been happy with it.

The ride height, visibility, and overall behind-the-wheel experience has been good. It's a comfortable cockpit with pretty nice materials, easy to use controls and it doesn't feel like you're in a cheap car in any way. I like sitting in it much more than my forester. There's not one reason I can pinpoint, but the forester just felt ergonomically "wrong" somehow. The seats weren't comfortable and I could spend 20 minutes adjusting the seat and wheel and still not find the perfect combination. In the Trax I found it within 1-2 minutes.

The engine is tiny, but the turbo works and once it spools up it has enough power. The transmission is tight, especially coming from the forester and it's CVT. I really dislike the CVT. Really. Since driving the Trax, it's like I have a real car again, with real gears. My advice to anyone--never buy a car with a CVT.

Annoyances I found so far:
- it's hard to use the E-brake and shift lever if the driver arm rest is down.
- it's a bit tricky to push down the back seat head rests so the seats fold flat.

Overall, it was a solid purchase. If you are on the fence, I say go for it, either the LS or LT they're both really nice cars. I'm sure the Premier is great too I just didn't get to drive one.
DustTrax likes this.
post #2 of 8 Old 03-12-2017, 01:57 AM

Hearing that there aren't too many crucial differences between the LT and LS trims could help some buyers save a bit of money when they're looking to buy a Trax and that money can be used elsewhere like accessories and roof racks.

E-brakes aren't really necessary unless you tend to park on steep inclines/declines. At least I never really use them on small slopes.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2017, 12:51 PM

I think you'll find your first impressions confirmed the more you drive the car. I have an AWD LT also (2015) and agree that GM really did a great job on this thing. I'm very pleased with my decision to buy it.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I recently bought a silver 2017 Trax LT AWD. I traded in a 15 subaru forester. I had gotten a silverado pickup last year (my first chevrolet), and was surprised how much I liked it. Then when it came time for a new crossover, I decided to go Chevrolet again.

I was open to buying an LS but wanted to drive both LS and LT to compare. I was not looking for a premier--I could afford it but I appreciate more simplicity. My observation--the LS was almost just as nice inside as the LT. Lacking certain touches, like the wrapped steering wheel, the vinyl trim on the seats, but still nice. I think they did a nice job with the interior at all trim levels. I especially like the LT seats--makes the forester's feel like cardboard (and I had the leather). The cloth is nice and soft, the vinyl trim is a nice touch, and they're just comfortable. Ditto for the back seats.

Ultimately I went LT to get roof rack, cruise control, and back seat AC outlet. Those things are super useful. But it wasn't because the LS interior was bad. I would have been happy with it.

The ride height, visibility, and overall behind-the-wheel experience has been good. It's a comfortable cockpit with pretty nice materials, easy to use controls and it doesn't feel like you're in a cheap car in any way. I like sitting in it much more than my forester. There's not one reason I can pinpoint, but the forester just felt ergonomically "wrong" somehow. The seats weren't comfortable and I could spend 20 minutes adjusting the seat and wheel and still not find the perfect combination. In the Trax I found it within 1-2 minutes.

The engine is tiny, but the turbo works and once it spools up it has enough power. The transmission is tight, especially coming from the forester and it's CVT. I really dislike the CVT. Really. Since driving the Trax, it's like I have a real car again, with real gears. My advice to anyone--never buy a car with a CVT.

Annoyances I found so far:
- it's hard to use the E-brake and shift lever if the driver arm rest is down.
- it's a bit tricky to push down the back seat head rests so the seats fold flat.

Overall, it was a solid purchase. If you are on the fence, I say go for it, either the LS or LT they're both really nice cars. I'm sure the Premier is great too I just didn't get to drive one.

There are a lot of niceties on the LT but they don't add up to 5000 to 7000 worth. Its a shame because if they didn't cripple the LS the way they do, they would sell even more total units. You don't expect a moonroof or heated seats but why not include Cruise control and remote start with AC option package ? Also stylized steel rims like the ones equipping the entry trim Renegade would have been nice instead of the hubcaps.

I usually buy steel wheels to mount winter tires, in this case I used the steel wheels on her LS to mount the studded winter tires and we kept the Astra's 18 x 8.5 Chrome Alloys to mount Momo Summer tires. Everything else was found in the aftermarket which is massive for this vehicle.

Cruise
Remote start
Front seat Bin
Inverter
Arm rest console
Window tinting
Fog lights
Audio system
post #5 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Keep in mind, my dealer had an LS and and an LT side by side. The prices were:
LS - 21,500
LT - 23,000

Not much reason to pick the LS with that kind of pricing.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Keep in mind, my dealer had an LS and and an LT side by side. The prices were:
LS - 21,500
LT - 23,000

Not much reason to pick the LS with that kind of pricing.
Absolutely, that's great value.

You must be in the States. I've notice the price is much tighter for you guys. Here in Canada the
LS Automatic is around 23 000 while the LT sits at 27 500 the LTZ around 32 000. We wanted a manual so I had no option but the LS.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Absolutely, that's great value.

You must be in the States. I've notice the price is much tighter for you guys. Here in Canada the
LS Automatic is around 23 000 while the LT sits at 27 500 the LTZ around 32 000. We wanted a manual so I had no option but the LS.
S

I would love to have a manual AWD Trax or Encore but here in the US there is no choice but the automatic.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
S

I would love to have a manual AWD Trax or Encore but here in the US there is no choice but the automatic.

Manuals going to way of the Dodo that's for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page