Chevy Trax Forum banner

Hundred thousand mile Trax starting to show up

28K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Anthony from Trinidad 
#1 ·
As some may or may not know the Trax has been on sale in Canada since December 2012 and we are now starting to see some flipping the hundred thousand mile marker in a climate that is as harsh as can be.

The two examples that I've inquired about are still performing top notch and meeting their emission tests both have had their regular service and both had their water pump replaced along with the timing belt. The underbody (dealer undercoated) and interiors still look absolutely fresh and these vehicles look like they may go another hundred thousand miles. Which is great news for owners of turbocharged Trax.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Chevrole...54038/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_837

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Chevrole...50902111238154/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_837

#2 ·
Any new car should go 100K without major problems, modern engines and drives should last well over 100K.

I always give my car more than ordinary care, when I trade in one of my cars, I hope the new owner will continue with the level of care I gave it.

#3 ·
Thank you so much Jobu for sharing this, as I was a bit skeptical about "reliability" regarding this vehicle...specially due to the fact that I'm in Illinois and there is almost no way mine is lasting that long (I have no garage). I try to keep the mileage minimal at best, I'm a little over 7200 miles now, but my dream has always been to make it as far as these two! Both look incredible for the mileage.

#4 ·
Another thing that is encouraging is that these vehicles were purchased when the Canadian dollar was at par with the Greenback so these Trax have retained 40 to 50 percent of their original value after five years and 100 000 miles. Which is pretty much unheard for a big three vehicle other than a Vette or muscle car. A comparable Sonic,Cruze or Focus would be worth under 5000 dollars.

The popularity of B segment SUV make them a very good purchase.

#5 ·
This isn't surprising at all. Follow your maintenance schedule and clean the car regularly, you'll be able to take one of these to several hundred thousand miles with ease! You can essentially make any vehicle last you an extremely long time, it's all a matter of how you take care of it

#7 ·
Then explain how the lady driven superbly maintained Astra chewed up the top of its engine at 68 000 miles or why big chunks paint around door handles scaled off revealing deep corrosion around the door handles of a car that was dealer undercoated and oil coated every year and garage kept ?

There are a lot of lemons out there. The Austrian designed, Belgium assembled, French powered with Tcheck transmission Saturn badged Astra was one of them.

#13 ·
Highway miles are the easiest miles your car will ever see, its the city that puts a beating on your car.

If you drive more city miles you should service your car a little sooner maybe at 2K miles, than waiting for 3K and higher for highway driven cars.

Consider using synthetic oils instead of conventional, don't forget about the transmission.

AWD vehicles would need more servicing, if you did a drain and refill of the transmission every 2 years it would go a long way to preserving its life.

Find the correct transmission fluid, drive the car warm it up to operating temp, then pull the drain plug, add back the same amount you drained out.

#14 · (Edited)
Yes, the city miles kill the engine. And the rest is correct.
It's small firms in US that produce genuine synthetic oils.
Most engine oils sold in EU are kind of mineral oils, but due to some legal lacunas big companies are allowed to write on the package the word "synthetic".
Only Germany, Austria and maybe CH got the proper legislation that separates pure synthetic from Group III Hydrocracking.

#15 ·
Yes, the city miles kill the engine. And the rest is correct.
In my region we have no genuine synthetic oils. It's small firms in US that produce genuine synthetic oils.
Most engine oils sold in EU are kind of mineral oils, but due to some legal lacunas big companies are allowed to write on the package the word "synthetic".
Only Germany, Austria and maybe CH got the proper legislation that separates pure synthetic from Group III Hydrocracking. The best we can get here is Group III Hydrocracking with a good package of additives. Years ago I was curious about how to get some real synthetic from US, but it was very expensive.
If that is the case with your oil choices, I would change my oil with the best oil you can get your hands on, but I would change it more often.

My guess your dealer uses Dexos, I do believe is a synthetic blend, then change your oil like it was used as a city commuter.

Make oil changes at 2 or 3K, I don't have much faith in regular oils going past that, using synthetics I only go to 3500 between changes.

I change my oil myself more often because I'm a retired mechanic, it only costs me for the oil and filter since I do it in my garage at home, disposing of the oil is no problem as I have a friend who uses it.

#21 ·
As some may or may not know the Trax has been on sale in Canada since December 2012 and we are now starting to see some flipping the hundred thousand mile marker in a climate that is as harsh as can be.

The two examples that I've inquired about are still performing top notch and meeting their emission tests both have had their regular service and both had their water pump replaced along with the timing belt. The underbody (dealer undercoated) and interiors still look absolutely fresh and these vehicles look like they may go another hundred thousand miles. Which is great news for owners of turbocharged Trax.

New & Used Chevrolet Trax for sale in Richmond | autoTRADER.ca

New & Used Chevrolet Trax for sale in Bethany | autoTRADER.ca
I live in Trinidad and my mileage is at 128,190 I only change water pump and timing belt under the 3 year warranty and lately the turbo which was reasonably priced online. Very sturdy vehicle I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.