Transmission Fluid Change? - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-11-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Transmission Fluid Change?

So recently my dealer recomended that its time for a tramsission flush, I have about 50,000 miles and the car is about two and half years old.

Dealer is reputable. According to maintance schedule its about time. Any thoughts on if this is something that should be done or not yet?
post #2 of 11 Old 05-11-2017, 03:51 PM

I was thinking of having it done every 30k miles. Did they give you an estimate?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-12-2017, 10:13 AM

I would never flush a transmission, I would have the fluid changed especially if the fluid is discolored.

A simple fluid change is all that is needed, drain out the fluid, then replace the same amount of fluid you drained, with the proper fluid for the cars make and model.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
I would never flush a transmission, I would have the fluid changed especially if the fluid is discolored.

A simple fluid change is all that is needed, drain out the fluid, then replace the same amount of fluid you drained, with the proper fluid for the cars make and model.
I have to disagree with one exception. Doing only a drain and fill leaves many quarts of old fluid in the torque converter and trans cooler. The flush replaces all the fluid in the system and gets all the contaminates out. The exception is high mileage vehicles which haven't been serviced properly, doing a flush on those is risky and may turn in to a trans rebuild. Putting new fluid in transmissions with weak seals sometimes causes them to fail.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-12-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry, I should have not said Flush, which is totally different. I was looking at owners manual and am guessing that is refering to the Transmission change around 47,000 miles?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 10:28 AM

When you do a drain and refill you do it twice, it takes double the fluid, but when you drive the car after the first drain and refill it cleans the converter.

When I do a drain and refill I drive the car for a few days in between fills.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswarm View Post
I was thinking of having it done every 30k miles. Did they give you an estimate?

They told me it would be about 100.00 for the service. Still debating if I need it. From what I read with 47,000 I should do it.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 PM

If they only charge $100 for a flush it sounds like a good deal. If they're only doing a drain and fill it's a bit steep.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM

How you drive will dictate how soon you should get the oil changed, that's if you want the best possible outcome for that transmission over its life span.

Being a $100 service, it won't hurt to maybe change it a bit sooner, or at the very least have it inspected.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 01:55 PM

For 100$ I would spring to change it out sooner rather than later. Transmission issues, especially when caused by something like transmission fluid being contaminated or whatever the case is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page