Plastidip wheels? - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Plastidip wheels?

Any example pictures of a trax with black rims? I'm considering doing a plastidip to my 16" stock rims, and it would be nice to so pictures if someone has already done it. I think it would look good! I will just photoshop it if no-one has any good examples.
post #2 of 15 Old 04-17-2016, 02:27 PM

I'd just do it, plastidip is relatively cheap, and 100% reversable.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-20-2016, 04:17 PM

Haven't seen anything, and doubt you'll see it any time soon, you're probably better off photoshopping it, if you do, i'd love to see how it will look.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-05-2016, 10:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redo8570t View Post
Any example pictures of a trax with black rims? I'm considering doing a plastidip to my 16" stock rims, and it would be nice to so pictures if someone has already done it. I think it would look good! I will just photoshop it if no-one has any good examples.
Just found out this forum existed, hope it's not too late but here are a few pictures. The second is with tire wet applied. Also thinking about getting the windows tinted soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0080 (1).jpg (377.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg (200.5 KB, 37 views)
post #5 of 15 Old 05-05-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlipka View Post
Just found out this forum existed, hope it's not too late but here are a few pictures. The second is with tire wet applied. Also thinking about getting the windows tinted soon.
Never too late for pictures, we even have whole picture threads here for just... you guessed it, pictures.

On that note I think we have color specific threads. Go crazy, feel free to post as many as you want.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-29-2016, 01:16 PM

Blackout Chevy badge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlipka View Post
Hey man - plasti dip blackout looks great. I'm planning on doing the same with my 16" stock alloy wheels on the black Trax LS. Also planning to use a couple of coats of glossifier to keep that sheen. Question: how did you manage to black out the Chevy bow-tie so cleanly? Any tips? Love that look. Thanks!
post #7 of 15 Old 06-29-2016, 01:31 PM

That does look really good, looks like a nice smooth finish too. How many cans did you use ?? Side note, does anyone have experience with Auto Dip yet ??
post #8 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracking View Post
That does look really good, looks like a nice smooth finish too. How many cans did you use ?? Side note, does anyone have experience with Auto Dip yet ??
Sorry for such a late reply, but thank you! Used about a can per wheel, maybe 4 or 5 coats? It's important to remember to do light coats, no matter how much you want to go back and touch up parts before that coat dries.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 01:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeldstein View Post
Hey man - plasti dip blackout looks great. I'm planning on doing the same with my 16" stock alloy wheels on the black Trax LS. Also planning to use a couple of coats of glossifier to keep that sheen. Question: how did you manage to black out the Chevy bow-tie so cleanly? Any tips? Love that look. Thanks!
Hey man, again sorry for the late response. Basically I put an annoying amount of painting tape all around the whole symbol. I then did about 6 or 7 coats, making sure to do very very light coats and waiting for each one to fully dry before doing the next. Then I pulled off all of the tape and slowly peeled the plasti-dip off of the chrome parts of the bow tie. Generally, it separated from the part I wanted black fairly well. For where it looked like it would keep peeling, I just put something small in the crack to sort of cut it in half so the inner bowtie was a clean dip. Has gotten me through 2 terrible Buffalo winters as well as many car washes without a single issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.JPG (160.0 KB, 19 views)
post #10 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 11:01 AM

Using plastidip to protect wheels for winter use is a good idea, but I never caught on to the no wheels on the car look that is so popular.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page