Body Side Molding - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-28-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Body Side Molding

Thinking of adding body side moldings to our 2016 Trax. Near as I can find, the GM accessory is only available in primer. There are several sellers on Ebay that offer them painted in all factory colors. The impression I got from the adds is that these are GM parts that have been/or will be painted by supplier. Has anyone found the same as above?
Also, when I look at the pictures of Trax's with the molding installed, it looks like the molding is installed just above the black area at the bottom of the door. If you check you will see a distinct shadow in the middle of the door, making it hard to get a good look at the molding. Also it is only 1-1/4" wide. What have you guys found??
Thanks,
Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 06-28-2016 at 05:52 PM.
post #2 of 6 Old 06-28-2016, 09:09 PM

The molding on ebay, was the only one that I saw anywhere.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Body Side Molding options

beeguz, Actually there are several options for side trim for our Traxs'. I found that there is a molding meant to go just above the black plastic strip at the bottom of the door. I think that is the type sold through GM and it is described as primed only. Near as I can find they are 1-1/4" wide.
Then there's an 1-1/4" molding that is color keyed meant to go approx. at the middle of the door. One supplier supplies a 2-1/2" wide color keyed molding, also for the center of the door. Don't know how these are going to protect much since the doors are so concaved. I think they'll look good to break up the lines on the side of the rig a little. I'll find out because I bought the 2-1/2" ones from the ad here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-CHEVY-TR...=mtr#vi-ilComp
(Scroll down for larger view)

Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 07-07-2016 at 07:57 PM.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2016, 09:05 PM

I guess it would depend on the shape of the door that was going to bump your door.

I would rather have a ding on a molding that I could take off and refinish, than on a door to repair.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Body side molding

Just finished installing the side molding as shown in my post above. Piece of cake! As shown, I went with the 2-1/2" wide molding. (1-1/4" is available). Seller sent all prep. materials. The moldings were wrapped in a gauze "sock" contained in a rigid tube. Parts came through perfect.
The only thing I should have checked before exposing the adhesive was the spacing distance of the rear door pieces from the front of the rear door. The instructions call for 1/4". This is way more than needed. Since I had exposed the adhesive on the first side I did, I couldn't reposition it. On the second side I did a trial fit before attaching the molding and found that about half that dimension was adequate and looks better. Other than that I think they came out good and breaks up the lines of the car a bit.
Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 07-09-2016 at 05:20 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-21-2016, 04:56 AM

thanks for this information.

3d printing technology pune lucknow india

thanks
visit:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page