• 1 Post By BowTie
  • 1 Post By beeguz
  • 2 Post By beeguz
  • 1 Post By BowTie
  • 1 Post By Jobu

post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Scuffs On Interior Plastic - Remedy?

So....like a dufus, I put some loose MDF board in my hatch yesterday. One quick stop and it slide, scraping against the interior plastic.
Nothing major, but some light scuffing on the plastic sides of the hatch.
Anyone know of a product or home remedy to "buff" it out a bit?
Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 9 Old 02-15-2017, 07:04 PM

Would shoe polish work.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 AM

Hi Lamf1977, a few months ago I shoved something heavy in the backseat so I could haul it home (desk-piece from work). It was somewhat heavy and as I was pushing it onto the backseat, I scrapped a little bit of the black plastic near where the door closes. Now, the two scrapes were not that big, but I could see them so I could not let it go. I checked out AutoZone online to see if they had anything I could use instead of a 'sharpie' and they have these "Duplicolor Paint (Scratch Fix)" pens you can use for the exterior of the vehicle going for a little over $13.00. Now, these are strictly for exterior damage, but the scratches were kinda deep, small but deep...so I needed something that would be somewhat thick. I went in person to one of our AutoZone locations in town and spend some minutes going through the shelves of "Scratch-Fix" pens. I found two, one in Silver-Ice (in case I ever needed for the exterior of the Trax) and a Charcoal black (the one I used for the scratches). The Charcoal Black was a bit too shiny for the scratches, but since the size of the scratches was not a big deal I didn't really care, I just wanted to cover-up the scratches with something of almost the same color. Depending on how you feel about the scratches, you could go and see if these are an option you want to go with. Now I know these might not be for everyone, but in my case they were better than the sharpie I used for the tiny damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car Paint Pen.jpg (5.4 KB, 2 views)
Lamf1977 likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 AM

If it's a scuff, you may be able to try a magic eraser to clean it up, but with the scratches, those are probably going to be an issue that can only be resolved with little bandaid situations that'll make it kind of less noticeable.
Lamf1977 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 AM

You get the dust and loose stuff off with the wet (rung out) towel, then the armor all or household furniture polish will help to hide the scuff.(this doesn't do miracle work)

Before armor all and car products we used spray furniture polish on seats and other interior finishes, everybody's car was lemon scented.
Lamf1977 likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-17-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
"Could not let it go" is the perfect phrase! The scuffs inside are not bad, but I see them. My daughter thinks I'm nuts.
It's not really discolored as much as the texture looks different. Something like this was bound to happen...so the car is no longer new!
I won't be so self conscious when I try to pop the door panels off to change the speakers!
Armor All actually did help his them a bit.
Thanks all!
post #7 of 9 Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 AM

You could always start shopping ebay for a used door panel, with all the parts showing up for the Trax on ebay frommChina, you might be able to buy a new one.
BowTie and Lamf1977 like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-25-2017, 10:18 PM

That's a good idea ^^

But I know how you feel, whenever something gets "tainted" I immediately don't care about it anymore lmao
Caeser99 likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-26-2017, 12:40 PM

1000 grit wet sand paper and be gentle, not to sand the texture out of the plastic around the scuffs.
Wet the paper and wrap it around a blunt narrow object and just sand down. Won't be perfect but should be almost unnoticeable.
Lamf1977 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page