Ground Clearance = bad - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bswarm

post #1 of 10 Old 09-09-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ground Clearance = bad

My driveway apron is at a very steep angle from the road to the driveway, about 8" height difference for about 3 feet. The front skirt drags on the apron, and it started to pull the lower rubber strip out. I removed the rubber strip, but it still rubs slightly if I pull straight in. I have to pull in at an angle to avoid scraping, but something didn't feel right doing so. I watched my wife pull it in today and busted out laughing... The RR tire comes off the ground a good 6 inches because the rear suspension is topping out. My 2016 LS has 205/70R16 tires, I checked a tire size calculator and found 205/75R16 should give me just under 1/2 inch more ground clearance, but I can't find any good tires that size. There's about 1 inch clearance between the tire and front strut spring perch so that's about as far as you can safely go putting taller tires on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (373.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by bswarm; 09-09-2016 at 03:27 PM.
post #2 of 10 Old 09-09-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Not related but... I just read that the 2014-2017 Chevy Trax is among 4 million GM vehicles being recalled for airbag and seatbelt problems. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37321361
post #3 of 10 Old 09-09-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswarm View Post
Not related but... I just read that the 2014-2017 Chevy Trax is among 4 million GM vehicles being recalled for airbag and seatbelt problems. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37321361
I read about that earlier today too. They should make that front page news on this site so everyone else knows about it. I have to bring the Trax in in a couple weeks for an oil change anyway so I'll probably be able to get the "update" at that time. I read online that it is just a simple electronic update of the software they need to do. What is odd is that for GM, the takata airbags fail to deploy, yet with Honda, Toyota, etc, the airbags deploy and explode and send metal shards flying.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
My driveway apron is at a very steep angle from the road to the driveway, about 8" height difference for about 3 feet. The front skirt drags on the apron, and it started to pull the lower rubber strip out. I removed the rubber strip, but it still rubs slightly if I pull straight in. I have to pull in at an angle to avoid scraping, but something didn't feel right doing so. I watched my wife pull it in today and busted out laughing... The RR tire comes off the ground a good 6 inches because the rear suspension is topping out.
Now that is really interesting.
I may have to do some experimenting to see if I am also carrying a tire into the driveway. I have a 12" rise over 5 feet and do not scrape anything with my 2015 LS.

If I get really ambitious I will get out the blocks and see just how much a tire can be raised before another one lifts.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #5 of 10 Old 09-10-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I thought the Trax would have had independent rear suspension. Nope. That explains why the RR catches air. I just hope it's not damaging the shock, which can happen if it's not equipped with a limiting strap.
Attached Images
File Type: png TraxRearSusp.png (51.3 KB, 13 views)
post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM

Holy moly 6 inches off of the ground ?! That is a photo opportunity right there
post #7 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 12:51 PM
sdi

It is a function of limited travel in the individual wheels... to change that would be a major undertaking.
I see some Trax owners want kits to Lower the suspension, I see none to Raise it... but that is another possible way to make bad things worse, depending on how it is done.

The Trax is actually Independent Suspension. The image posted above shows part of the story, but not all. That big U shaped thing is actually 3 separate pieces, the ends pivot on the cross beam.
Independent Suspension does not have much to do with it anyway. As an example the most capable Off-Road vehicle, the Unimog, has rigid axles but Lots of travel (and a flexible frame too).

On looking under mine (2016 Trax LTZ) I see there are no sway-bars either front or back. No help there. Sway-bars are intended to keep the two sides in sync, off roaders disconnect them, or remove them entirely.

Peter
post #8 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 12:54 PM
sdi

Quote:
does that apply to the Mexican/World version? I will ask when I get it serviced again.

Peter
post #9 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdi View Post
does that apply to the Mexican/World version? I will ask when I get it serviced again.
GMs website has a recall area where you can enter your VIN# to see the recalls on your specific vehicle.
On the rear suspension hanging a tire in the air... The apron scraping is only going to get worse as the tread depth wears down. I'm going to try bumping the tire size up to 215/70R16 when it's time for tire replacement. A little wider, about 1/4" taller, and some cool looking rims at the same time.
James likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2016, 05:33 PM

Smart move and that width should still be good for traction, even if you plan on using that same wheel for winter, a winter tire that wide should serve you well although some people like to go a bit more narrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page