Need 2 tires, suggestions? - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Need 2 tires, suggestions?

I need 2 tires for my gf's 2015. the oem ones are way too expensive... anyone know of some cheaper tires? i read going to a 65 instead of 70 would work fine, is this true?

edit~~ i live in florida, so no need for snow tires or anything like that.
post #2 of 5 Old 11-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Yes you can put 65's on if she has a AWD you MAY have to put 4 on to keep the tire size's even, if its a 2 wheel drive don't worry about it.

If you buy 60 or 65 series tires they are plentiful so they will be cheaper.

When I had my Trax I bought 4 snows 205/65/16 series I should have bought 215's because they look small, but they worked great, because it lowered the gear ratio slightly.

THE TIRES ON THE TRAX ARE, 205/70 they are 27" in height, the 215/60 is 26.2 under an inch smaller.(keep your height in mind so they don't rub and you can turn the front wheels all the way.

Use this tire calculator to see what sizes will work: https://tiresize.com/height-calculator/

Last edited by beeguz; 11-08-2016 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-08-2016, 05:19 PM

You might trigger an ABS or traction control trouble code/light if you mix tire sizes. The Trax has 4 wheel ABS with a speed sensor on each hub. They'll need to be the same overall height.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-09-2016, 10:40 AM

If you are rotating your tires correctly they should all wear out at the same time. If just 2 are warn you have a mechanical issue that needs to get fixed. You should get this fixed before you spend money on new tires that will also wear out.

I do not like to mix tires. Mixed tires will give uneven traction and could cause a control issue.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #5 of 5 Old 11-09-2016, 10:56 AM

As long as the tire sizes are close in diameter, the sensors will not trigger anything, its when the sizes are way off in height they will go nuts, you can use any size you want as long as they fit in the wheel well.

Like if you ran 205's and 235's, they might go nuts, but I don't think you could get much bigger than a 225 on the car without lifting it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page