Can we replace the MyLink stereo? - Chevy Trax Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Can we replace the MyLink stereo?

I purchased a 2015 Trax earlier this year and as time goes on I'm growing more and more dissatisfied with the MyLink stereo. I want to replace it with something with Android Auto support such as the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. Is this possible with the Trax or does it rely upon the MyLink stereo to function, since it has all those options for the car's lights and whatnot in the menus built in?
post #2 of 48 Old 06-22-2015, 05:21 PM

I'm not exactly sure but it seems like you would be able to switch them. Especially once they introduce it for an upcoming Trax model. Then you could probably take one of those systems and transfer it pretty easily. Don't take my word for it though.
post #3 of 48 Old 06-22-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainTrax View Post
I'm not exactly sure but it seems like you would be able to switch them. Especially once they introduce it for an upcoming Trax model. Then you could probably take one of those systems and transfer it pretty easily. Don't take my word for it though.
With that being said, it could help to inquire about this at the dealership, pick their brains, see what they possibly know about this.

post #4 of 48 Old 06-23-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Went into a car stereo place and they are not aware of any wiring harness available for the Trax. I found this picture of the main wiring plug, however, on Crutchfield:

There's a whole lot of SOMETHING going through there..
post #5 of 48 Old 06-23-2015, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
further research has led me to believe that this is GM's 44 pin 29 bit LAN connector.. wiring adapters seem scarce but I've found a few out there. Two specifically for the Trax are PAC RP5-GM41 and PAC RP4-GM41 (no OnStar support). I believe that wiring harnesses that are indicated for the 2013 and up Buick Encore should work as well, for example the Metra 71-2106 (though this doesn't include steering wheel controls or onstar or anything but the basics).
J.G and lordphilippe like this.
post #6 of 48 Old 06-25-2015, 01:51 PM
J.G

Need to be careful fiddling with modern headunits. They are integral to the vehicles electrical system and its possible you can actually void your warranty because the thing is wired in so tight. See Automakers and DMCA
post #7 of 48 Old 06-25-2015, 04:30 PM

Usually when there's no harness.... a lot of splicing is required... big headache.
post #8 of 48 Old 06-26-2015, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm in Canada rather than the US so I'm not too worried about the DMCA. And even if I was, I'd be more worried about it if I was modifying something that matters like the ECU.

The PAC RP5-GM41 kit that I picked up does include the proper harness equipment (and maintains steering wheel controls and OnStar support) so there won't be any splicing required. I will have to solder about 20 wires or so but if I need to take my Trax in for service, I can return it to stock in about five minutes by unplugging everything.

I need to get the firmware updated on this RP5-GM41 as they only added Trax support to it a few months ago - I'll post pictures and instructions when the time comes to actually install it.
lordphilippe likes this.
post #9 of 48 Old 06-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalcam View Post
I'm in Canada rather than the US so I'm not too worried about the DMCA. And even if I was, I'd be more worried about it if I was modifying something that matters like the ECU.

The PAC RP5-GM41 kit that I picked up does include the proper harness equipment (and maintains steering wheel controls and OnStar support) so there won't be any splicing required. I will have to solder about 20 wires or so but if I need to take my Trax in for service, I can return it to stock in about five minutes by unplugging everything.

I need to get the firmware updated on this RP5-GM41 as they only added Trax support to it a few months ago - I'll post pictures and instructions when the time comes to actually install it.
yea you're not fiddlign with the ECU, but you're fiddling with something directly chained to the ECU. Agreed with some of the others that you need to be careful. Any sort of software fault and they find you've added extra wiring (even if disconnected) and they won't honour warranty.

BUT, to each their own
post #10 of 48 Old 06-28-2015, 07:25 PM

As long as it looks stock to them that's all that matters and if you can do that, more power to you. I'm not nearly as mechanically inclined so its not something i'd do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page