Help with USB connection for music - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lavriv

post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Help with USB connection for music

I have a 2015 Chevy Trax LT. I was disappointed that I couldn't choose a new CD player option but I know times are changing. I do have a LG G2 smartphone which I can connect via bluetooth but since I live in the country where the reception is sparse at best, it drains my battery far more than I would like. So I now am in the process of transfering my CD's to my computer so I can put them on a USB thumb drive to plug into the car for music. I bought a 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade new to try. Dumped a bunch of MP3 music files to it & plugged it in only to be told it was "playback source not available". Stopped at the local Chevy dealership up here & they were clueless. I have noticed that the Sandisk has a password protect on it which I did not know when I bought it. Wondering if that is the problem? Even tried a few MP3 players with the USB cord & they wouldn't work either. I am beyond frustrated!!!! Can anyone recommend a particular brand of USB flashdrive that works with the MyLink radio?
post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 AM

Ambr... You need to format your thumb drive to forwat FAT32 first. Then, add the songs to it. Just tested my memory stick, worked fine then checked it was in format FAT32.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2016, 10:47 AM

Bought 2 thumb drives for 5 dollars at wallgreens one for my Miata and one for the Encore, I transferred my cd's to my computer then transferred them to the thumb drive.

Put one cd at a time in your computer and save them to your music, then drag and drop them to the thumb drive.

I use windows 7 it might be different on 8 or 10, but it was very easy.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probak118 View Post
Ambr... You need to format your thumb drive to forwat FAT32 first. Then, add the songs to it. Just tested my memory stick, worked fine then checked it was in format FAT32.
Sorry, the FAT 32 format is for watching video, not audio (music files).
post #5 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 10:56 PM

Just make sure that the files you put on your flash drive are mp3 format. As with most radios, they will not play anything that is an m4a, mp4 etc. Or just use your iPod(if you have one) and connect it to the bluetooth and play your music like that. Just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2016, 12:01 AM
sdi

some mp3 files play, but some do not.
they all play on other devices...
I think it is a Windows bug

Peter
post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2016, 07:58 AM

probak118 was correct the first post. The USB drive needs to be formatted to FAT32 (It does not like NTFS). This is the file structure that MyLink understands. I have personally tried both .mp3 and .wma files. They work fine. To format your usb drive, plug it into your windows PC. Navigate to it using windows file manager. Right click on the usb drive and select format. From the sub menu under file system select FAT32 and use the defaults elsewhere. Quick format is fine. After done you can just drag and drop your mp3's and drop them onto the drive. You can create folders if you choose. Not sure how many folders deep you can go but I have tried it up to 3 deep and it works fine. Hope this helps.

If you want to use playlists... good luck. GM has basically told me they may look into the problem if they have time. Sad, the owners manual says it will recognize them but it doesn't and they don't seem to be in a hurry (if at all) to try and resolve it.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-03-2016, 04:45 PM

My 5 Cent

I'm using MP3 files since 2014 (Bought my TRAX in Canada where it started earlier to be on sale). Few of my experiences. 1. Use as smaller USB thumb drives as possible (4GB is the smallest you can find these days. 2GB Preferred, if you can find them) <$5. That will help TRAX to scan music faster and start playing faster, since you have less music to start with. 2. Easier to navigate in folders. 3. TRAX does not support play lists, so use folder playing instead play lists.
enrico3795 likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-30-2017, 09:48 PM

I just transferred ripped cds from my laptop to 2G flashdrives, from my playlist, and the flashdrives work perfectly in my Trax. I ordered Topsell brand flashdrives from Amazon. 10 pack set me back about $35.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page