Add accessory outlet for rear passengers? - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Add accessory outlet for rear passengers?

I just bought a new 2016 LS, I thought it would have more than one 12v accessory outlet, but didn't check for one in the rear passenger area when I bought it. It looks like the rear of the center stack has a plastic cap where it's an option. Can I buy one from the dealer and pry off the cap and install one or is it more involved than plugging it in?
post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 PM

There is a chance that the wire is there, all you would need to do is plug the 2 wires on the outlet.

You can pick one of those up anywhere, auto parts store, junk yard, the socket is what used to be a cigarette lighter socket.

If the wire isn't there, you can run one from the battery, if you want a full time socket.

If you only want it to work with the key on, you will have to pick a heavy power wire that will support the power you need.

One heavy wire from the power source, then just a short ground wire from the dash structure will be a good ground.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM
sdi

I agree having only one outlet is a major pain.
For a temporary fix I bought a gizmo that plugs in and has two outlets, but of course it is dead when the key is turned off. Full time On would be a super option. I will go to my favorite auto electric shop next week.

Peter

post #4 of 10 Old 06-23-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I was going to be using the front outlet for a Garmin Nuvi GPS, we're going on a trip up the Ca coast. The kids will need one near the rear seat area to charge their phones. Can the front USB port can be used to power the GPS? Will it interfere with the infotainment system?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-23-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswarm View Post
I was going to be using the front outlet for a Garmin Nuvi GPS, we're going on a trip up the Ca coast. The kids will need one near the rear seat area to charge their phones. Can the front USB port can be used to power the GPS? Will it interfere with the infotainment system?
I used a GPS in my trax on the front port, with no problems.

I would stop at a truck stop, buy dual power port, that will split the port into 2 outlets, I have seen these with 2 or more USB ports

You might be able to split one wire to the phones so it charges 2 phones at a time with the right adapters.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-24-2016, 02:51 PM

The right adapters is a key thing as they apply different amounts of current.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 PM
sdi

The USB port will charge but the output is low = slow
post #8 of 10 Old 06-25-2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
It looks like the rear of the center stack has a plastic cap where it's an option. Can I buy one from the dealer and pry off the cap and install one or is it more involved than plugging it in?
The wiring harness should be standard on all of these regardless of the options when purchased. Under the cap or somewhere under the rear center console should be a plug in the wiring harness, to plug in the optional accessory assembly from the dealer. But for the price from the dealer for it, you might as well pay them to do it too.

You might be able to find a junkyard unit that will fit from a similar model, or snip & splice the wires to make it work. Running heavy wiring from the front to the back depends on how much power you need.

A couple of amps to charge or run some phones, tablets, or small A/V device don't need any heavy thick or expensive wiring, but lots of power to actually work a cigarette lighter, electric beverage cooler, power inverter, or full sized muli-core gamer laptop will need something that will carry the extra current without losing too much voltage on the way there. Ground it anywhere on a solid thick solid metal part of the vehicle body.

Last edited by Betties; 06-25-2016 at 02:26 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-25-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I looked at the factory parts diagram for the Chevy Trax center stack and the only option was a 110v converter outlet, no 12v accessory outlet was an option. I'm sure I could install a 12v outlet there after finding the correct wiring terminals in the center stack, but for now... I ordered a Tomtom 9UUC.052.06 USB charger/outlet to use in the existing front outlet. It has two 5v USB charging ports and a 12v accessory outlet for plugging in the GPS charger. When I take the Trax in for the first oil change I'll ask the service guys about putting a 12v outlet there.

Last edited by bswarm; 06-25-2016 at 11:06 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 PM

I'm looking for something similar, I'm wondering if anyone has found a mod to make the power outlets always on with the key off? Some car/truck models just require a fuse to be pulled from one slot and inserted into a different slot to do this...not sure if this is possible with the trax without a complete rewire to the battery; or there is another way to do this without butchering the stock wiring on a brand new vehicle?
I saw it was mentioned earlier in this post. I guess I'm surprised that more people aren't wanting the always on power outlets as an option. I'm used to them always being on in my VW as a stock feature.
I camp a lot and it worries me to leave the key on with all the potential power drain on the battery when all I need to do is charge a couple cell phones. Let alone leaving the keys in the car among people I don't know seems like asking for trouble?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page