• 1 Post By bswarm
  • 1 Post By beeguz
  • 1 Post By Flyinfool
  • 1 Post By beeguz
  • 1 Post By jimski

post #1 of 9 Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2016 LS automatic headlamps always on

I just noticed the headlamps are always on during daylight hours after putting it in gear. They turn off if I turn the headlamp switch over to "off" and release the switch, but the next time I use the Trax they come on again. The headlamp indicator is illuminated on the instrument panel, it's not the DRL indicator according to the owners manual. There is a sensor on the dash that is unobstructed, it just doesn't seem to be working. Is this normal operation? And, I thought all new cars had to have DRL in the states, but according to the manual is only Canadian vehicles.
Eneboy likes this.
post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 AM

The headlights run at 50% as daylight running lights all the time.

If you don't want them on, you have to use the headlight switch to cancel them, EVERY TIME you start the vehicle.

You used to be able to click the emergency brake one click to shut off the lights, I never tried that with the Trax.

The trade off is the headlights won't be on, but the brake light warning you the emergency brake is on shows on the dash.
Eneboy likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2016, 10:07 AM

To tell if it is the headlights on or just the DRLs on look at the rest of the running lights. if the tail lights and parking lights are also on then the headlights are actually on, If all of the other lights are off then it is most likely just the DRLs are on.

If the icon on the dash is lit, that is indicating that the DRLs are ON.
Eneboy likes this.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

post #4 of 9 Old 07-12-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK, it's the DRLs. The online owners manual says there's separate DRL indicator and headlamp indicator, but I guess that's for Canadian vehicles.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2016, 11:35 AM

If you don't want them on, what you need to do is get in the habit of twisting the switch to the off position when you start up.

That is what I did on my colorado to preserve the expensive headlight bulbs.
Eneboy likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-16-2016, 08:54 PM

Garage
I though the same thing. The manual shows a solid icon with three rows of small dots for the DRLs. The headlights are supposed to be a hollow icon with three small lines. The icon that actually appears on the dash is a hollow green icon with the three rows of small dots. High beams are a blue hollow icon with the three small lines. That had me confused for two days. But I put my Trax in neutral (emergency brake on of course) and took a walk around the vehicle to verify that only the headlamps were on. Hard to tell if they are at half brightness, but I will have to assume that's the case.
Eneboy likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-19-2016, 08:04 PM

The DRL feature of this vehicle somewhat makes me uneasy, is there a way to disable or at least an option to turn this off?

Does it mean that its necessary that the knob points to the "headlight on" when you start that engine?

I want to just remove this bulb if there is no other way. Is it ok?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-19-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I haven't yet found a wiring diagram for the Trax to do the same thing. On my Saturn I just pulled the DRL relay, but I didn't find a DRL relay on the Trax. I'm going to be installing Hella bulbs in the Trax, but not until I find a way to disable the DRL so they'll last longer. The DRLs are using the headlamp bulb, but at reduced brightness, so you can't just remove the bulb or you'll lose the headlamps. Disabling the DRLs might get you a ticket if it's required in your location.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-20-2016, 01:04 AM

my 2016 trax ls comes with 4 bulbs on headlights assembly. 1 is the yellow turn light, 2, is the park light which doubles as the DRL. 3. is the regular headlamp 4. is the hi-beam. i would like to pull out the number 2 which is the park light that doubles as the DRL. i think this is the simplest solution.

what do you think?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page