OnStar Family Link problems - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OnStar Family Link problems

I added the Family Link service to my Onstar account, which still has a couple months remaining in the trial period. I wanted to be able to track my family while they are on a 2500 mile trip up the coast (without me, I have to stay home). When I go to the OnStar Family Link website and sign in, it asks me to set up a vehicle. I select the Trax, and an error window pops up saying...
"The vehicle you have selected does not meet the criteria for OnStar Family Link. Please select ok to choose another vehicle or contact OnStar at 1-888-4-ONSTAR (888-466-7827) for further support."
I called OnStar and they have no idea, they escalated it to a tech level 2, whatever that is, gave me a case number, and said it may take about 4 days for someone to get back to me.
Anyone else have problems with OnStar or Family Link?
post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2016, 09:36 AM

I had nothing but problems with it, including that same error message. They had to completely cancel my account and then I had to recreate it from scratch, that worked for a while but in 2 weeks it crashed out again. They are even less helpful when you try to cancel the family link. I ended up having to call my credit card company to stop them from pulling payments.

I also had issues where I was looking at my car in my driveway and it said the car was 10 miles away. Not good if you are trying to find someone that is lost or worse.

And onstar is even worse. My last 2 cars I never even activated the free onstar. FREE was still to expensive for what it is actually capable of. I only wish it were possible to buy a car without all that extra crud on it. All that stuff you don't want can disable the car if it malfunctions and you will pay dearly to fix something that you don't even want on the car.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I tried again today. It finally went through without the error, but says it'll take 24 hours to initialize. Hopefully it'll work for a month before I cancel it. I guess I could have used the OnStar mobile app to locate the vehicle, I forgot about that when ordering Family Link.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-01-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It works! No one from OnStar bothered calling me back, but the wife and kids left for the trip and it's working. I'm still going to cancel it after they get back though.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So far it's working great, except for one track which located the Trax somewhere in Greenland instead of Oregon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page