2016 Trax LS aftermarket stereo - Chevy Trax Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 09-01-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2016 Trax LS aftermarket stereo

I just recently bought a 2016 Trax LS. I want to replace the stock am/fm radio with something better. I asked a local stereo shop for a quote to upgrade and they were unable to source the required interface modules that have been proven to work (they spoke of a module called Maestro). Does anyone have any advice on how I can keep features like the steering wheel controls and OnStar. Crutchfield (US) lists me all the needed components but the Canadian version of crutchfield doesnt seem to carry the same components so I feel lost as to what parts I need.
post #2 of 27 Old 09-05-2016, 01:50 AM

Wait, you want to replace the modules or just the speakers?
post #3 of 27 Old 09-08-2016, 03:35 PM

I think the modules so that the aftermarket deck can still be controlled by the steering wheel controls ?

post #4 of 27 Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 PM

Metra BX-GM8 retains almost everything, OnStar, chimes, Steering wheel control etc.
It's a fairly new piece. My wife just got an 2016 LS last week and I'm already looking at a Kenwood Android Auto deck to install, but do want to retain all factory features. Will change speakers after that, maybe a small sub down the road!
post #5 of 27 Old 09-14-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
Metra BX-GM8 retains almost everything, OnStar, chimes, Steering wheel control etc.
It's a fairly new piece. My wife just got an 2016 LS last week and I'm already looking at a Kenwood Android Auto deck to install, but do want to retain all factory features. Will change speakers after that, maybe a small sub down the road!
Please keep us updated ! Possibly even a little DIY ?
post #6 of 27 Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 PM
sdi

I too would like to replace that crappy radio. There is a thread here that went thru the steps with a Pioneer setup: Can we replace the MyLink stereo?
I don't know much about it, I don't need some ear bleeding system, just a good stereo with CD... and having that "smart" MyLink controls too.
Dealers are no help "you will void your warranty" ... I could care less about any stinking warranty.

I actually want to disable that hateful OnStar thing too while I am at it, I just need to find out where the antenna is.
James likes this.

Peter
post #7 of 27 Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM

What's funny is if it voids your warranty, it's happening on one of the things people worry the least about when it comes to potential issues. If it was something mechanic necessary to how the vehicle runs then i would be concerned about warranty, much easier to deal with a head unit than some part accessible from the undercarriage.
sdi likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-20-2016, 10:27 AM

Ordered Metra BX-GM8, 95-3017B and 40-EU10 today. Deck is on backorder, should see next week (Kenwood DDX9903)
Looks like the only featured lost on the base radio will be the temperature display. Oddly enough, my wife likes and didn`t want to lose this feature. But with Android Auto she can just ask the radio the temperature, so she`s OK with it!
Will post when I get the dash apart.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-20-2016, 11:18 AM
sdi

on mine the temperature display gives wacky numbers. perhaps it is only reading the temp under the dash. It does Not read the outside temp, or the temp in the passenger area.
will you still have the door locking controls?
please keep us posted on how it works after install.

Peter
post #10 of 27 Old 09-20-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
Ordered Metra BX-GM8, 95-3017B and 40-EU10 today. Deck is on backorder, should see next week (Kenwood DDX9903)
Looks like the only featured lost on the base radio will be the temperature display. Oddly enough, my wife likes and didn`t want to lose this feature. But with Android Auto she can just ask the radio the temperature, so she`s OK with it!
Will post when I get the dash apart.
That is a gorgeous deck. Highly rated, even comes with a 13 band graphic EQ !
sdi likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page