Replaced Headlamp Bulbs - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Replaced Headlamp Bulbs

My 2016 Trax has long life bulbs in both high and low beams. I didn't think they were lighting up the road as good as the Hella conversion that I put on my old 92 Toyota. I bought some Philips VisionPlus bulbs, H11 for low beam and 9005 for high beams. Note that many manufacturers catalogs say the Trax takes H7 for low beams and H1 for high beams, that's wrong, at least for 2016 USA sold Chevy Trax. Check your owners manual to make sure.

It takes about 5 minutes to swap the bulbs. There's a large plastic cap behind each bulb, about 1/4 turn counterclockwise to remove. Leave the wire connector attached until after you remove the bulb, that way the connector won't fall down inside the back of the housing requiring some fishing to get it back out.

I tested many different bulbs from yellow to blue in my Toyota Hella conversion. Don't fall for the whiter or blue colored bulb hype. The whiter or blueish ones may look cool staring at the headlamps, but the way they illuminate the road is worse than regular bulbs. The yellow coated bulbs work the best but are not DOT approved and might get you a ticket. The VisionPlus bulbs I put in the Trax is an improvement. I think the only way to get them brighter would be HID, Projector, or perhaps LED, but those cost a lot more. I just need to remember to turn off the DRL every time I drive as these are not long life bulbs.

Last edited by bswarm; 09-11-2016 at 07:04 PM.
post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 06:48 PM

thanks for the info,just goin to replace mine in my 2016 trax and i would of gotten the wrong ones.

Trax LTZ Midnight Edition
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM

You can up the wattage of the headlights buy using 65W bulbs.

By removing the tiny piece of plastic where the bulb plugs into the harness.

This piece is easy to remove with a razor knife or a dremmel tool once the piece of plastic is removed it plugs right in.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-14-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
You can up the wattage of the headlights buy using 65W bulbs.

By removing the tiny piece of plastic where the bulb plugs into the harness.

This piece is easy to remove with a razor knife or a dremmel tool once the piece of plastic is removed it plugs right in.
I saw those (H9) and even some H11 100W bulbs but wanted to keep it legal. Then there's the problem of no anti-glare coating on those bulbs, the extra heat trapped inside all that plastic, bulb life, and if the DRL circuit can handle the extra load. From what I understand the DRL does not use a drop resistor, but uses a pulse modulated voltage from the BCM or whatever they call it now. If you do go with H9 you can get a pigtail adapter for $10, that way the bulb socket won't need to be modified.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 PM

You modify the bulb, not the pigtail.

All you do is cut out, or dremmel the plastic spine.

I did it on cars that I have owned, never had a problem just brighter light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page