Help building a 360 camera system - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Help building a 360 camera system

Hello there,

I'm new in modding a car and would like to know a little bit more about adding electronics to one. I have a 2014 Trax (Tracker) and I'm planning on adding 4 170º cameras + 8 parking sensors to the car in order to add some live obstacle and parking assistance.

Since I know little about cars, I'm looking for help in that part. Currently the only thing I've done to the car is remove the stock radio cover and connect a tablet in front of it like the photo attached. The radio still works and I get the tablet audio (Spotify) using the AUX in the dash.

Now, I got the cameras and the sensors and will be adding a Raspberry Pi and a DVR (to convert the cameras from analog to digital). The DVR uses 12v at 2amps and the pi is 5v 1amp.

What's the best way to supply power to these things? I was thinking about buying an inverter but I'm not sure how to power everything else.

For the cameras, is it possible for them to always have the 12v? I have read that the reverse cameras get the power from the reverse lights but I need these to be transmitting image as long as the car is ON.

For the DVR, Is it possible to get the 12v for the inverter from the trunk? The plan is to have everything back there since I'll be adding a more powerful computer later for Computer Vision.

Thanks guys!
post #2 of 4 Old 02-02-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Photo attached
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 12.24.30 AM.png (314.0 KB, 7 views)
post #3 of 4 Old 02-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Why do you need an inverter? Usually an inverter is used to convert 12Vdc to 120VAC. the 5V, 1A that you need is what most USB chargers put out. You can use one of those to power the 5V stuff. for the 12v stuff just connect it to a circuit that is always on only when the car is on. Get the power thru a relay so that you do not overload any circuits in the car.

If none of what I just said makes sense to yo, then take the whole works to a professional electronics installer, One wrong connection in modern cars can cost you a good pile of cash.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

post #4 of 4 Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The inverter is for the DVR which comes with a 110v adapter but actually uses 12v 2amps and I'll put a Mac mini to process all the cameras later. I'll get help with someone who knows more about this. Thanks for your time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page