Speaker Replacement. - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Speaker Replacement.

I have had my 2016 LT for just under a week. Loving the car, but not enjoying the "stereo".
Not having a cd is not a super big deal. However the stock speakers suck.
I really don't want to be opening up the dash at this point, just pop off the door panels and install some better speakers.
My questions are:
Are the door panels tough to pry off? Any hidden screw so remove?
Once off, is a adapter bracket needed to house the new speakers?
Are the current speakers wires attached to the speakers by female connector spade type pins? Or will you need to cut/splice wires, and attach new spade connectors?
Is the current radio "strong" enough to drive most 6 1/2 to 6 3/4" speakers?
Finally, what about the tweeter in the front pillar? Can you buy a simple replacement, or best just to leave alone.
I appreciate all and any help!
Thanks!
post #2 of 15 Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM

They are not very difficult, there are also video showing you how to do it, but you will need a door trim and dash tool kit to do it properly, they are about 35 bucks. Keeping that awful head unit, expect to lose lots of volume by replacing the OEM speakers as they are low resistance, high DB paper cone garbage. Size is 6.5 or 6.75 for doors front and back and one inch tweeters in the A pillars if you go with components.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks...any links to the video? I have a door removal tool, but it was not $35...so I hope it will work.
Yeah.... I would love to replace the head unit, but my wife would probably strangle me for messing with a brand new car (at this point at least).
So if I do look for speakers, look for some which are lower resistance? Any suggestions? Will I need the Scosche adapters?
Thanks!

post #4 of 15 Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 PM

Check Crutchfield.com and enter your vehicle info and it will allow you to download an install PDF and I think that's where I saw the video as well
post #5 of 15 Old 02-10-2017, 06:15 PM

You can leave the head unit in place and just route the existing speaker wires to a four channel amp. I think that's the ideal solution if you want a simple install and very above average OEM sound. Plenty of room to hide a small amp in the cabin.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Gonna give Crutchfield a call. Rewiring is not in the playbook at this point. Just looking for a simple speaker swap.
How do the factory speakers connect? I know my old Lincoln did not use spade connectors and I have to splice some it.
Thanks again.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Same, splice and solder. There is also a door adapter plate that may not fit your replacement unit. Might need to buy spacer rings.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ordered some speakers and adapters.
Splice and solder/solder no worries.
I see a screw cover on the armrest door pull...are there any others to unscrew before removing the door?
Also, how do you tell "plus +" from "minus -" on the factory wires to the speakers?
Thanks again for all the great advice!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 08:21 PM

You're common will have a black stripe. solid will be you're positive
post #10 of 15 Old 02-14-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I see Metra makes adapters with the built in connectors, but none for 2016. No big deal to splice. Never soldered in my driveway before!
For anyone who has done a speaker swap, did you disconnect the stock pillar tweeter?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page