Chevy Trax Forum banner

question on engine temperature

23K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Mascarien 
#1 ·
on my old malibu there was a gauge which showed when the engine was warmed up or hot or cold. where do i go to find that on my 2015 chevy trax

#8 ·
Hmm, I'm in the NorEast and don't like the sounds of that! But I never idle for that long, they never heat up properly like that, typically I let mine idle for not even 5 minutes in the driveway and then drive it easy for 5 minutes until the needle moves...

but then again, the Trax doesn't HAVE a needle... FFS

#10 ·
Vehicles like ours need to run hotter, for emission reasons although 208 is a little hot, usually around 196 but it was probably before the fan kicked on. I also wondered why GM did not include a Temp or Volt gage, even in the DIC, which can be scrolled. Also 2X for not heating up in the winter very well, I find the climate control both in the AC department and the heater department is a little lacking. One of the Things GM did change with the 2013 we had was the Blower motor, it was making a strange noise that only young people seemed to hear.

#12 ·
To check for a bad thermostat there are thermometers made to stick in the neck of the radiator.

You can buy cheap ones at harbor freight.

As far as a heat gauge I would add one on if you are concerned with engine temp there are a few types available you might find one where you can attach it to the outside of the radiator.

I would agree not going into the coolant isn't the best solution, but at least you have an idea of how warm the engine is.

#13 ·
I am having the same problem

I am having the same problem with my trax not heating up. I drove it for about 20 minutes today, and my coolant temp was only up to about 150 degress. (Checked using "Torque" app on my cellphone. ) and it blows out lukewarm air. Granted, it is only about 5 degrees out this morning, but still, my other vehicles warm up ok. Why doesn't the trax? This is pretty annoying.

#14 ·
I am having the same problem with my trax not heating up. I drove it for about 20 minutes today, and my coolant temp was only up to about 150 degress. (Checked using "Torque" app on my cellphone. ) and it blows out lukewarm air. Granted, it is only about 5 degrees out this morning, but still, my other vehicles warm up ok. Why doesn't the trax? This is pretty annoying.
When the new thermostats fail they fail in the open mode that will give you a no or low heat situation.
Take it back to the dealer the thermostat is covered under the engine warranty.

In the old days when thermostats failed left you with a car that was not derivable, leaving most with a car with a destroyed engine.

#15 ·
I have been thinking about installing a heat gauge on my Trax so I picked up one today.

looking around for a good place for the probe I find I don't have anyplace to put it.

Then I was thinking why not put it in a hose, at least I would have an idea of the engine temp.

I found this product on line for mounting the probe in a hose, I just have to take a hose off to see what size is needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30mm-Silver...ash=item27fe4d9111:g:70EAAOSwqu9VPc29&vxp=mtr

You can use an electric or a mechanical gauge with this adapter looks promising.

#16 ·
I went here for my '15 LT AWD
UltraGauge

2 options: wired and Bluetooth. I opted for the BlueTooth. Both plug in to the OBD port under the hood release. I bought a phone and a dash mount from Target. Once in a while loading is a bit weird (needs 2 or 3 tries for unit to connect to the phone). This is my set up for page 2 (which is the only one I use). TCS and PEND TCS are alerts for trouble codes, not the codes themselves. Photo is of unit with engine off.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
J'ai le même problème

J'ai le même problème avec mon trax qui ne chauffe pas. Je l'ai conduit pendant environ 20 minutes aujourd'hui et la température de mon liquide de refroidissement n'était que d'environ 150 degrés. (Vérifié à l'aide de l'application "Torque" sur mon téléphone portable.) et il souffle de l'air tiède. Certes, il ne fait qu'environ 5 degrés ce matin, mais quand même, mes autres véhicules se réchauffent bien. Pourquoi le trax ne fonctionne-t-il pas? C'est assez ennuyeux.
Because your thermostat always open

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.