Oil changes? - Chevy Trax Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 07-01-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oil changes?

I was wondering.

I have a 2015 Trax which is equipped with an oil change monitor. I'm pretty sure that all the Trax have these, which uses a percentage readout to indicate oil "lifespan".

I bought the car new at the beginning of March 2016, and have driven it only about 1800 miles. The oil monitor currently shows about 73 percent. I am accustomed to replacing oil every 4 months or so regardless of miles driven. I asked the dealer about this and they said that the monitor measures a combination of time the engine is running and mileage, and to follow the readout. They mentioned that with low usage an initial oil change can be delayed up to a year.

This completely contradicts everything I have ever know about oil changes. I'm inclined to do an oil change anyway as the color of the oil has gone from light to dark over the past 4 months. They did mention that the synthetic oil which is in the car now has a much greater lifespan.

This car came with the Chevy 2 year or 24,000 miles "free" oil change benefit, but I'm inclined to do an oil change anyway and just pay for it myself. Old habits?

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thanks!
post #2 of 43 Old 07-01-2016, 12:43 PM

We received 4 oil changes / 2 years when our 2014 was bought in August 2014. I usually waited every 6 months so I would use up all 4 changes. The last time , the manager told me to skip the 6 months and only follow the percentage readout. I will AFTER I get the free oil changes. If I were you, do the same, may as well get the "free" ones while you can.
post #3 of 43 Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM

I was wondering the same thing. My 2016 Trax has 3000 miles and the oil life says 85% remaining. The OnStar maintenance website says "Most GM vehicles average 8,500 miles between oil changes". We're going on a 2500 mile trip in a few months, and I really don't know if I should change the oil before or after the trip. From what I understand it has a synthetic blend oil in it. I'll be asking for full synthetic oil for the oil changes if they have it at the dealer, even if it costs extra with the free oil changes.

post #4 of 43 Old 07-01-2016, 10:14 PM

When I buy a new car I drive it for about 150 or 200 miles then change it to synthetic, ( I get the original oil out as soon as possible) then I go on to change the oil every 3000 to 3500 miles.

I use Pennzoil, Mobil 1, or Valvoline, I had a few instances where Castrol almost cost me an engine, so I no longer use their oils.

(Use your favorite oil, use a national brand, make sure it is DEXOS approved for the warranty coverage) If an oil is DEXOS approved it is written on the bottle, now days most major brands are now labeled dexos approved.

The oil life monitor used to just go by miles driven, then lately they changed it so the monitor counts down for time.

Change your oil every (3500), if you intend to use synthetic, change it more often (2000) if you are going to use conventional oil.

The oil life monitor is made to get you to go back to the dealer more often, they are trying to become your regular stop, replacing your neighborhood garage.

Remember the people who print those specifications want you back to buy a new car as soon as possible.

You can reset the oil life monitor yourself its very simple, each car is a little different, the steps can be found in the OWNERS MANUAL.
post #5 of 43 Old 07-02-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input - yes, I'm gonna follow the pattern I've used in the past - basically what you have recommended. It's a small price to pay for a bit of peace of mind. I didn't know about the DEXOS designation thanks for that bit of advice!
post #6 of 43 Old 07-02-2016, 09:08 PM

I think its just GM's way of making sure you use better oils, most national brands now are dexos approved, thing is if they analyze your oil and you didn't use an approved oil they might not pay your claim.

So far the only oil I haven't seen Dexos on was walmarts brand,(TECH) but I would imagine once they get GM's approval they will be Dexos approved.

On a side note I bought a Miata that had used walmart synthetic oil the car had 175K on it.

I took the valve cover off to change the timing belt seals, it was one of the cleanest Miata's I have had apart.

The owner of the Miata supplied oil change records, he changed the oil every 3 to 3500 using walmart brand oil only occasionally using national brands.

If I have a car that isn't under warranty I use walmart synthetic oil, if you trace walmart suppliers it is Ashland oil the maker of Valvoline oil who packages oil for walmart.
post #7 of 43 Old 08-29-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
When I buy a new car I drive it for about 150 or 200 miles then change it to synthetic, ( I get the original oil out as soon as possible) then I go on to change the oil every 3000 to 3500 miles.

I use Pennzoil, Mobil 1, or Valvoline, I had a few instances where Castrol almost cost me an engine, so I no longer use their oils.

(Use your favorite oil, use a national brand, make sure it is DEXOS approved for the warranty coverage) If an oil is DEXOS approved it is written on the bottle, now days most major brands are now labeled dexos approved.

The oil life monitor used to just go by miles driven, then lately they changed it so the monitor counts down for time.

Change your oil every (3500), if you intend to use synthetic, change it more often (2000) if you are going to use conventional oil.

The oil life monitor is made to get you to go back to the dealer more often, they are trying to become your regular stop, replacing your neighborhood garage.

Remember the people who print those specifications want you back to buy a new car as soon as possible.

You can reset the oil life monitor yourself its very simple, each car is a little different, the steps can be found in the OWNERS MANUAL.
I don't normally do this, but felt compelled after reading this, too many people on the internet are mis-informed and it spreads...

1. Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, it doesn't matter... Castrol won't brake and engine, nor would another oil. they are all API certified, and are for all intents and purposes very much the same. An SN oil is an SN oil. sure, they have different additive packs and base stocks, but all work fine. As long as its dexos 1 approved, you're fine.

2. the OLM uses a variety of information such as cold starts, idle times, driving times, temperatures, etc, all in an algorithm that counts down the life of the oil in the form of a percentage.

3. changing out a synthetic oil at 3500 miles is a 100% complete waste of money and natural resources, it's as simple as that. I'm not sure what to say about that, actually... A conventional SN oil would go much further than 3500 miles... you could safely run a conventional oil to 5000 miles, easily. the only true way to find out how your oil has performed is to get a UOA done.

4. the OLM isn't designed to get you to go to the dealer, your neighborhood garage, or anywhere for that matter. the OLM allows your vehicle to tell you when your oil needs to be changed, provided you are using the correct dexos 1 oil, which is what the OLM is calibrated to. the OLM saves you from wasting money at bob's garage who still in today's day and age spews the 3000 mile 3 month oil change nonsense. I follow the OLM and change my oil myself, which usually equates to 10,000 km's or so.

5. the people who print the specifications are the same people who designed the vehicle and know what it needs in order to operate successfully.

all that said, with the GM 1.4 turbo engine, it's very simple. use a 5w30, full group III dexos 1 synthetic, such as mobil 1, pennzoil platinum, castrol edge, etc. all of these oils are more than up to the task. the AC Delco dexos 1 semi synthetic works, but it tends to show signs of sludging if run to 0% on the OLM. The 1.4 T is pretty hard on oil. Using a full synthetic, you can safely run to 10% easily on the OLM, which depending on your climate and where you live, could be anywhere from 8000 - 10000 miles.

It's not rocket science, but if you really really really want to learn from people who know what they are talking about, check of the bobistheoilguy.com forums.
c502cid and sdi like this.
post #8 of 43 Old 08-29-2016, 03:08 PM

Since our Trax came with 4 free oil changes in the first 2 years. I am getting the 4 free oil changes that I paid for. Nothing is free, you paid for those oil changes in the price of the car. At the first oil change at 6 months the car had 360 miles on it. in a couple of weeks it is due for the next oil change which will be at about 800 miles. The dealer whined about it but I pointed out that I did pay for the oil changes. Fresh oil never hurt any engine.

I do not have any idea what the algorithms used in the OLM are, but in 6 months and just 400 miles the OLM is down to 52%. So not driving much with a lot of trips that do not warm up the engine fully must have an impact to the OLM. As it should. Short trips are he11 on an engine.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #9 of 43 Old 08-29-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
I do not have any idea what the algorithms used in the OLM are, but in 6 months and just 400 miles the OLM is down to 52%. So not driving much with a lot of trips that do not warm up the engine fully must have an impact to the OLM. As it should. Short trips are he11 on an engine.
of course. the OLM counts down based on cold/hot starts, driving distance, temps, etc. short trips most certainly affect the OLM.
post #10 of 43 Old 08-29-2016, 04:52 PM

When I took the Trax in for the first free oil change I asked for full synthetic oil even if I had to pay extra. The service writer told me the Trax engine wasn't designed for full synthetic oil and that Dexos 1 semi synthetic should be fine. Needless to say, after all the free oil changes are used up I'll be doing them myself with Mobil 1 full synthetic which is Dexos 1 certified. We don't put many miles on our vehicles, so I change the oil once per year even if it isn't due yet by mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page