Installing Cruise control in my 2015 Trax. - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 31 Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Post Installing Cruise control in my 2015 Trax.

This will be my How To thread on putting the cruise control into my 2015 Trax.
I purchased the kit from Flyboy on this forum and it arrived yesterday. I am planning to do the install this weekend and IF I can remember there will be pictures to go with it. I am expecting the install to take less time than it will take me to do this how to thread. (OK so I type slow......)

This is supposed to be a fully plug and play install with no wires to cut or splice, and will use the OEM steering wheel controls so it will look the same as the factory cruise. There is one connector that plugs into the OBDII port. I may instead cut and splice those wires into the harness behind the port. I will decide once I get there.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #2 of 31 Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK I cheated and took a peek inside the box.

Here are pics of the contents of the box.

While it would not be real hard for me to reverse engineer this kit, I will not do that, I am sure that Flyboy put a lot of effort into coming up with this as a package, so please do not ask me for all of the custom wiring and part numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trax Cruise 001.jpg (829.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Trax Cruise 003.jpg (823.4 KB, 77 views)

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #3 of 31 Old 08-19-2016, 02:32 PM

That looks very well put together, and good on you for keeping it all hush-hush, we have to support our community and those who put the work and efforts in. Can't wait to see some pictures of the installation !

post #4 of 31 Old 08-22-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK, here we go, Started out out bright and early Sunday morning.
I will not go into extreme detail since there is a very detailed instruction sheet included in the kit.

I started by taking everything apart that needs to be taken apart.
Disconnect battery to avoid airbag surprises.
Remove lower dash panel, 3 screws and a bunch of clips.
Remove panel from drivers side center console by gas pedal, just a bunch of clips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000118-web.jpg (136.3 KB, 79 views)

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #5 of 31 Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Remove top panel of steering column, Just snaps in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000119-web.jpg (127.0 KB, 68 views)

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #6 of 31 Old 08-22-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Remove airbag. There are videos on you tube of how to do this, it is not to bad once you figure it out.
Remove filler piece for new switch. It just pulls straight out.
Remove horn plate from center of steering wheel. 3 screws.
Unplug and remove existing wire harness from steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000121-web.jpg (167.2 KB, 69 views)

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #7 of 31 Old 08-22-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Now everything is apart ready for install.
First plug the new OBD2 port into the old OBD2 plug. I forgot to take pic..............
The control box is located behind the panel you removed from the center console.
So starting from there, run the wire harness up into the dash. One wire goes up over the top of the steering column and up to the steering wheel. There are 2 wires with contacts that get plugged into the 10 pin connector just in front of the steering wheel as shown in pic. Leave the other small connector alone, that is the airbag.

Next there is an orange wire that is part of the wire that you ran to the top of the steering column. That wire gets connected to one of the wires that go to the headlight switch. there is room to reach up behind the headlight switch and unplug the connector and get it out far enough to make the connection. There is a scotch lock provided for this connection. I prefer to solder over a scotch lock but that is my personal preference, being under the dash and no significant amounts of current in the wires, the scotch lock may be just fine. Again I forgot to take a pic of this wire connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000120-web.jpg (135.3 KB, 66 views)

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

Last edited by Flyinfool; 08-23-2016 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-22-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The next one is the other wire of the main harness that snakes along the bottom of the dash over to the OBDII connector and plugs into the pigtail that comes out of the OBDII plugs.

The next thing to install is the cable to the gas pedal. This is simply a matter of unplugging the wire from the gas pedal and plugging in the new cable to the gas pedal and the existing wire to the new cable. Rout the long end over to the control box and plug it into the box. While you are there you might as well plug in the other connector from the first harness to the control box.

This completes the install at the bottom. If you wish you can put both panels back together at this time.

I must apologize again, I was cruising along (pun intended) and forgot all about the camera for this whole step.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

Last edited by Flyinfool; 08-23-2016 at 11:49 AM.
post #9 of 31 Old 08-22-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I must admit,the steering wheel is the part that I was most worried about. It turns out there was nothing to worry about.

To assemble the steering wheel it is simply;
Attach the 2 spade connectors for the horn in the places that you removed them.
Reinstall the horn plate with the 3 screws.
Connect the plug to the radio control switch.
Press the new cruise switch into position.
Plug the connector into the cruise switch.
Plug the big connector into the steering wheel.
Dress the wires neatly so that they will not interfere with the airbag or horn.
Snap the airbag back into position.
Snap the top of the steering column back into position.

Reconnect the battery and you are ready to go for a test ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000124-web.jpg (183.1 KB, 62 views)

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

Last edited by Flyinfool; 08-23-2016 at 11:48 AM.
post #10 of 31 Old 08-22-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This whole thing is about as close to plug and play as you can get. There is only one actual wire connection that you need to make and it is well explained. It took me about an hour and a half for the install, Now that I know what I am doing it should have taken a lot less time.

As for operation, I only took one short ride to verify that it actually works and it does. There are some differences in the way an aftermarket cruise works compared to the factory cruise. But once I complete the short learning curve it will be just fine. I will come back and explain those differences once I get them fully understood in my own little brain.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

Last edited by Flyinfool; 08-23-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page