Strange siren noise from engine on idle + low revs - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-28-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Strange siren noise from engine on idle + low revs

Hi,

I bought a used 2015 Trax LTZ Turbo on Friday. We drove it home about 130kms mostly highway driving, no problem.
The next day and from now on.. we start it up it's doing this horrible (lack of a better word) siren noise when the car is idling and at low revs. It is sometimes intermittent or like a surging sound.
It got quieter after maybe 45mins of driving, but return when we go slow again. Performance wise the car seems no different.

Tried with the AC off and it still does it.

It's going in to the dealer to have a look tomorrow, but i thought i'd post here as I can't find anything similar as to what it could be!!

Any ideas?

I have video links but i think i'm now allowed because i'm new?

thanks!
post #2 of 5 Old 11-29-2016, 10:55 AM

I think I hear the same noise on my Buick Encore, it sounds much like a power steering pump that is low on fluid.

My Buick has less than 3K miles on it, I'm not really worried about it, if I find out what it is I will let you know.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-03-2016, 04:38 PM

Check to see if it's the power steering fluid.. just go from full lock to full lock the opposite way. Maybe it's the belt?

post #4 of 5 Old 12-03-2016, 04:49 PM

The 1.4l turbo Trax has electric power steering. I was thinking alternator whine from what he described.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Since I heard the noise that one time I haven't heard it since, I know the car has electric power steering, its just that the noise I heard sounded like a power steering pump, that is low on fluid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page