Immobilizer Light came on. - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Immobilizer Light came on.

today I headed out for a bunch of errands. As soon as I left the house I noticed an unusual yellow icon illuminated on the dash. I had to head for the Owners manual to figure out what it was. Turns out it was the "Immobilizer Light". Proper operation is that it should light for a few seconds after you start the engine along with all of the others that light for a few seconds. It SHOULD then turn off along with the rest. But today it did not turn off. According to the owners manual if it is on the engine should not be able to be started, it is part of the theft deterrent system. BUT mine was lit thru going to 5 different stores. The car ran normal thru all of this trip. After the last stop I was going to drop off the wife at home and then run the car to the dealer to check it out. Of course as it always happens on the last start to head home. the light went off just like it should, I have not been able to get it to malfunction again.
I do have concerns since if this feature malfunctions it is designed to render the car immobilized. I hate to bother the dealer with something that is working as it should and I can not reproduce, cuz I know they will just send me back home. But then since this able to render the car immobile, I worry about the wife driving it in this frigid weather.

Arrrrgggggggg.................

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #2 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 AM

I would write it off to a glitch, I would stop by the dealer, tell them the immobilizer light came on, just to get it on the record.(in case it screws up when the warranty is almost gone)

I would have the service guy write it up, if it does screw up you have a piece of paper saying this thing screwed up once before.

If it is as cold where you are as it is here in the northeast it could be the cold that caused the fault, or if you used a key other than the one that came with the car may cause the light to go on.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I thought about the key.
The key I had that day is a third one that I had bought from dealer with the car (we need 3 keys). BUT the same key did work correctly many times before, it is the key I always use, and did work correctly on the last leg of my days shopping. Yes it is cold here to, temp was about 0F, wind chill around -15F. I am in Wisconsin, When I get sick of the weather here I send it on east to the North east part of the country for you to enjoy.

I think I may have found a possible clue.
When you unlock the car with the remote, pushing unlock once will unlock the drivers door and a second push will unlock the rest of the doors. I wonder if I was hitting the unlock button to fast to also unlock for the wife to get in and it had not finished the full unlock sequence to fully disarm the Immobilizer? Gonna have to do some experimenting.

I hate when I can think or act faster than the puter........................

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

post #4 of 19 Old 01-10-2017, 03:19 PM

But then if she interrupted it, theoretically it wouldn't have opened the door..? Or would it? I'm really not 100% sure, I'm just trying to aid speculation here.

My typical experience with malfunction theft deterrent systems is if the light keeps flashing, the car would turn over and then shut off immediately. Every time. So this is different and I would like to know what's going on as well !
post #5 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 10:47 AM

My typical experience with malfunction theft deterrent systems is if the light keeps flashing, the car would turn over and then shut off immediately. Every time. So this is different and I would like to know what's going on as well !

That is what is designed to do, the car will attempt to run but then the fuel pump is shut off when it doesn't see the right key or the car thinks its being stolen.

That 3rd key is probably the culprit, I hate the new keys with transponders in them, aftermarket keys are never the same as the manufacturer keys.

I saw people on youtube taking transponders out of their original keys, then taping them to the steering column so they could use a regular cut key, that way they didn't have to pay 50 dollars for a key.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This 3rd key that I have is NOT aftermarket. It is OEM purchased from the dealer as part of the sale. There is no way to tell the 3 keys apart other than the serial number. If the weather behaves I will try some more experiments this week end. So far it has continued to work as it should.

It might even have something to do with the sub zero F temps last Saturday.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
post #7 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Hm... it has never gotten that cold around there before ??
post #8 of 19 Old 01-11-2017, 05:06 PM

I've noticed the infotainment screen takes a longer time to come on when it's around freezing temp, which isn't often here in SoCal. Also... there's a setting in the infotainment menu where you can set all door locks to unlock on the first press of the remote dongle, I like it more than the default setting where you have to press it twice.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 09:44 AM

Cold tends to put a damper on everything, wish I could get my body to respond, when it gets near zero.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It has gotten a LOT colder than zero around here, I just never drove the Trax when it was sub zero before. Wife only has learned to look at speed and gas, the rest is meaningless to her.

I will have to look for that door unlock option.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page