Turbo Cool Down - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 01-14-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Turbo Cool Down

Just a quick question in regards to the 1.4 turbo engine.. After a long drive around, do you guys let the car stay on for a few minutes to let the turbo cool off or do you just turn it off right away ??
post #2 of 15 Old 01-14-2017, 05:01 PM

If I just came off the freeway or was driving it hard I let it idle for about one minute, otherwise I let it idle for about 10 seconds. I also change the oil sooner than the oil life monitor says to. When I used to work on cars for a living, any turbos that came in for an oil change got premium oil and we pre-filled the oil filter with oil.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-15-2017, 07:48 AM

No data to back this up but think of it. Part spinning at XXXX rpms and you suddenly shut it off, stopping oil flow also. A short time at idle with oil still cooling it can only make sense. Some operation manuals I have read specifically mention a short duration ( in minutes) at idle prior to shut off. Unfortunately the Trax is the wife's vehicle = never going to happen.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-15-2017, 03:15 PM

Ok...so I have to admit I have not been doing this! I will now allow a "one-minute" idle before shutting off the engine when I get back from wherever. For some reason I've only been cautious about start-up, and have started allowing the Trax time to warm in winter-mornings. Thanks for the tip bswarm.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-15-2017, 03:49 PM

the Trax turbo is also cooled by coolant, as well...

the Trax is turbo charged, yes, but is not even remotely close to approaching any thing considered performance or stressed when it comes to the turbo charger.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 09:55 AM

I copied this from a site that was talking about letting turbo cars cool down after use.

You don't have to treat it different if it's a stock setup. If you do a bunch of pulls, just do a bit of normal driving or let the car run for a minute or two so it can cool down the coolant and oil by pumping it through the system.
So just like any car, if it's been run hard, drive it normal for a bit to cool everything down. If your car has sat long enough that the engine temp is close to ambient, let it warm up by driving like a grandma before you push it hard. If it's really really cold, 30 second idle, then grandma drive, then you're fine. If it's crazy ass cold, like you're in Antarctica, a few minutes of idling or longer will be needed. If you're NOT in Antarctica, don't let your car idle forever to warm it up, because carbon.
Benny Reizanto likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-17-2017, 03:25 PM

I have a bad habit of starting my car and going inside to finish drinking my coffee and getting my things together (that I should have the night before admittedly)

But it's comforting to know you can treat it the same way. I've seen lots of people, with different cars of course, that have performance turbo setups and after running it for a good drive, they bring it home, leave it on idle for 5-6 minutes, and then shut it off. I would really hate to do that every darn time.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 AM

I would think in sever conditions like below zero or 90+, letting the turbo cool down for 5 minutes is a smart thing to do, otherwise a minute or so is fine.

I think the morning run is more important, your giving the turbo and oil a chance to circulate and warm up, the colder it is the more it should warm up.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 AM

I agree on the warm up in cold start conditions, but not for too long. The Ecotec engines used in the early 2000s Saturns had some engine problems from idling them too long, causing timing chain/guide failure. A minute or two should be long enough on really cold mornings. And... not driving GTA5 style until after it warms up.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Damages from idling too long? How would that occur??

I remember once I started my car and went inside and forgot about it for a good 35 minutes or so.. Completely lost track and train of thought and finally realized it eventually. Other than unnecessary fuel burning, it was alright.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page