Trax battery upgrade options - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By beeguz
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-02-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
(Thread Starter)
Trax battery upgrade options

Do you guys have a options for battery replacement upgrades?? For example: size, ampere etc...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
Benny Reizanto is offline  
post #2 of 10 Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 96
The best upgrade would be an Optima Redtop or Yellowtop battery, although they are not direct replacement and may require slight modification of the hold down bracket. They are also very expensive. The best direct replacement battery would be the Interstate brand.
bswarm is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-02-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswarm View Post
The best upgrade would be an Optima Redtop or Yellowtop battery, although they are not direct replacement and may require slight modification of the hold down bracket. They are also very expensive. The best direct replacement battery would be the Interstate brand.
The problem is the hold down bracket, unlike the cruze the trax hold down bracket can't hold bigger battery without slight modification..

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
Benny Reizanto is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
beeguz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 570
Usually battery manufacturer guides will tell you what batteries will fit in the spot designed for the battery, bigger batteries have been installed in cars but sometimes you run into problems.
The height can hit the hood if there isn't enough room, or you might have to cut and re-manufacturer the hold down and cut the battery tray to get a battery with a larger foot print in the case.

You can buy batteries that have a small case with more plates, its the plates that make one battery bigger or better.

Our cars call for a series 48 battery, 760 CCA so if you can find a series 48 with more Cold Cranking Amps that would fit in the space provided.
Series 48 Dimensions L x W x H (in): 10.91 x 6.85 x 7.47

Last edited by beeguz; 02-02-2017 at 11:38 AM.
beeguz is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
Usually battery manufacturer guides will tell you what batteries will fit in the spot designed for the battery, bigger batteries have been installed in cars but sometimes you run into problems.
The height can hit the hood if there isn't enough room, or you might have to cut and re-manufacturer the hold down and cut the battery tray to get a battery with a larger foot print in the case.

You can buy batteries that have a small case with more plates, its the plates that make one battery bigger or better.

Our cars call for a series 48 battery, 760 CCA so if you can find a series 48 with more Cold Cranking Amps that would fit in the space provided.
Series 48 Dimensions L x W x H (in): 10.91 x 6.85 x 7.47
48 series is bigger than stock.... the stock use 47 series.. maybe 48 series will fit in the hold down bracket without modification...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
Benny Reizanto is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
beeguz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 570
The guide I checked said my Buick had a series 48, being that the cars are almost identical in make up I figured the Trax had the same battery, the guide does show a 47 for Trax,( for AWD LTZ models as well.)

Checking further into it I read that the series 48 is slightly larger, its possible that they installed a larger battery in a Buick.

Buick cars tend to have more electrical equipment than Chevy's, you might get some installers who will not install a 48 in a Trax because they might have to do 5 minutes of modifications to the battery tray.

In cars where I had to alter battery boxes the most we would do is cut off the lip on one side so the bottom of the box was flat on one side then slide the battery over to the side with the missing side.

I say battery box when it is really a tray, the tray will have a 1/2" lip to hold the battery in place, but the tray is not the only thing that holds the battery, the hold down does most of the work.

My choice would be to install a series 48, the bigger case has more plates in the battery, more plates = longer battery life.

Last edited by beeguz; 02-03-2017 at 10:22 AM.
beeguz is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 120
OK. My curiosity is up. Why do you feel that you need a bigger battery.
The battery in our Trax goes thru he11. It is not uncommon for the car to sit for a month without being started and then it will only be a 1.5 mile trip to the grocery store. Engine is not even fully warmed up. Then it might get to sit another month, especially in the winter. Even sitting in sub zero weather, always outside, never plugged into anything, it has not yet failed to start. The car was bough in Sept of 2015 and just last month has hit 1,000 miles.

Jeff
2015 Trax LS AWD
Flyinfool is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
OK. My curiosity is up. Why do you feel that you need a bigger battery.
The battery in our Trax goes thru he11. It is not uncommon for the car to sit for a month without being started and then it will only be a 1.5 mile trip to the grocery store. Engine is not even fully warmed up. Then it might get to sit another month, especially in the winter. Even sitting in sub zero weather, always outside, never plugged into anything, it has not yet failed to start. The car was bough in Sept of 2015 and just last month has hit 1,000 miles.
That battery is definitely a super trooper

If that's the case, there's really no need to upgrade the battery unless you're running some competition subwoofer setup with hydraulics lmao
Tracking is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
Given the above statement.. maybe he has a defective battery? Take it in and get a load test or something done on it?
BowTie is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
beeguz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 570
Some people like to up grade to a bigger battery if they live where the weather is very hot or very cold.

A bigger battery is better for harsh conditions.
Benny Reizanto likes this.
beeguz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interior Color Options [w/Poll]: 2015 Chevrolet Trax James Interior 10 03-04-2015 04:49 PM
Chevy TRAX US Financing Options... Kooper Chevy Trax Dealers, Purchasing and Ordering 8 06-02-2014 12:42 PM
Color Options [w/Poll]: 2015 Chevrolet Trax James Chevy Trax General Discussion 2 04-21-2014 11:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome