Fuel/oil or exhaust odor - Page 8 - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes

post #71 of 76 Old 12-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Yep, checking In on this too, love this car, but the exhaust/ burning smell is almost unbearable...I bought this on black Friday, as a CPO with the extended warranty....I will be making an appointment next weekend. This is not okay. This can't be healthy...
post #72 of 76 Old 01-02-2019, 02:20 PM

Hi and THANK YOU for your patience and help.

I am adding my voice to the chorus of people saying that there is a burnt smell. I can confirm, however, that this doesn't smell like burnt oil (I know because I have had valve cover gaskets go bad before, so I KNOW what burnt oil smells like).

I checked all the points you highlighted in the picture, but there is no evidence of leaks anywhere. Also, I stood in front of the engine for about 5 minutes with the engine running and I did not witness any smoke or leaks. Disclaimer: Never open the hood while the car is running if you are not comfortable and/or you have no mechanical skills!

It is interesting that the smell is NOT burnt oil. I also thought that it might be a mouse or some other rodent which made its way to the filter compartment or the like. However, I just replaced the cabin filter as well as the main intake filter and I did not find any evidence in there. Clean as a whistle.

Just as a reference, the smell does go away when the car is moving, which leads me to believe it is an exterior-of-the-engine-case issue. If the smell was persistent when idling as well as moving I would be inclined to believe this is an internal issue.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-HH
post #73 of 76 Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 PM

This thread is 2 years old now. I read the whole thing. Any resolution? Did it resolve itself? Did the owners sell or trade their Problem Trax? I see even Chevy customer service got in the thread. Several times. What happened there? I really hate it when there is no followup.

So far my 2018 is odor free. Except that new car smell.

MJT
CA770N likes this.

2018 Trax LT AWD in Nightfall Gray Metallic

post #74 of 76 Old 02-05-2019, 12:30 AM

We have a 2016 Trax with 28000 miles. Last weekend we had The Heater on and smelt a burning plastic/rubber or chemical smell while Driving. NOT a burning Oil or fuel, or dead rodent in the vent system smell, but nauseating enough to Roll Down the Windows. At First I thought it was possibly fumes from other vehicles or roadside industries entering the air intake. But the smell filled the Cabin several times during our 45 minute drive, Each time we rolled Down the Windows to clear the air. Upon arriving Home and exiting the Trax, the smell seemed to come from the passenger side, firewall side of engine compartment. Wife is Taking Trax to dealer tomorrow. Hope the bumper to bumper warranty covers this. Oil change is overdue but level is good, and dipstick seated ok.
post #75 of 76 Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Same problem

I have the same problem, it used to have the raw fuel smell but that went away after I replaced the plugs and the coil pack. Now it and as it did before the cabin fills with exhaust fumes when idling, fan on and does not matter if it's on recirc or not and with the windows up. I am a pretty good mechanic so I have been trying to find the problem now for almost a year, can't figure it out, but it would seem there is an exhaust leak somewhere under the hood and it is getting sucked in by the fan. I tightened the clamps on the turbo and that seemed to helped a little but I cannot sit idling for more than a couple minutes before it becomes unbearable, There is a waste gate control on the turbo and I wonder if it is leaking from the shaft? I have a 2015 Colorado and it never smells of exhaust inside the cabin, we need to get this problem solved, GM needs to do something about this, Fords were having the same problem with the police passing out at the wheel.

Last edited by diggin; 03-10-2019 at 09:47 AM.
post #76 of 76 Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 PM

So I took off the heat shield in front of the turbo and while it was running I doused the waste gate shaft area on the housing with water and sure enough it is leaking exhaust, this would make sense as to why we are getting this fume smell in the cabin and it clears up when you start driving. It also makes sense the smell is eye burning because it has not gone through the catalytic converter yet, I am going to call my dealership and see what they say about this. I did inspect the entire exhaust system to be sure there were no other leaks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page