Motor oil - Chevy Trax Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 08-24-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Motor oil

I have a 2016 trax. Which synthetic oil should I use?
Thanks!
post #2 of 16 Old 08-24-2018, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
I use Mobil 1 or Valvoline full synthetic. I'm happy with either and would never go back to regular oil.
Oatmeal likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716
post #3 of 16 Old 08-24-2018, 05:24 PM

Loaded question! Check out Bob is the Oil guy forums to get info for your engine.
I like Pennzoil Ultra, but all the full syn oil is going to be more than enough protection for your engine as long as you change it before your % hits zero.

2017 Encore AWD Premium LE2
2014 Town and Country 30th Ann
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4

post #4 of 16 Old 08-13-2019, 11:13 PM

Is it ok to use Penzoil
post #5 of 16 Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Garage
I believe choosing oil brands to be similar to choosing which gas station to frequent.

Here's a little peek behind that curtain: A few years ago a large batch of gasoline was contaminated with diesel fuel by the refinery. This contamination effected nearly every gas station in town, aside from Chevron (they have their own dedicated refinery, if I'm not mistaken). What does this tell you about the true difference between Shell, Citgo, Sam's Club, Costco, Speedway, Giant, Diamond Shamrock, etc? There's little, or no, difference.

Most +2011 GM vehicles require dexos-approved oils, a selection of which are listed here:
https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

TLDR: I suggest paying more attention to the oil's certifications and ensure they meet your vehicle manufacturer's specifications, more than focusing on particular brands.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-17-2019, 01:32 PM

There's generally 2 types of gasoline brought into every part of the country, branded and unbranded. The branded gasoline gets the specific detergent and additives for their brand, while all the unbranded gasoline is sent to everyone else with a generic blend of detergents and additives.

I've seen cases where the hauling contractors have taken a full load of diesel and then instead of swapping tankers they load those same compartments with gasoline and drop off at your local gas station. I've mostly noticed that happened more on the unbranded gasoline stations around my area, especially since most of the branded stations have high financial penalties contractually.

About a month ago the gas station my Dad manages was shut down for 3 days because the contractor contaminated the tanks with diesel. So aside from the $30K it cost to get the tanks drained and cleaned, they had to compensate the gas station for its loss business which came to the tune of $200K, and another $15K in repairs for all the cars that filled up that day. I'm sure they have an insurance policy that covered the bulk of the costs, but the general disruption I'm sure wasn't worth the money or aggregation.
63dart likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 AM

So, what brand oil do you guys use in your Trax ?....

I have used Penzoil, oil for years myself, in other vehicles, this is my 1st Trax..
post #8 of 16 Old 08-30-2019, 02:40 PM

If you like Pennzoil, stick with Pennzoil. There's only one real caveat to remember when you buy any brand of oil, and this is directly from the owners manual.

Quote:
Engine oil meeting the dexos1 specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 full synthetic is recommended.
So as long as Pennzoil meets that requirement, which i know it does, you should be fine. Use a quality oil filter and you're good to go, it's very important to get a good filter, don't just buy the cheapest one there. You're not just protecting the engine, but also the bearings in that turbo. Want to keep that oil as clean as possible for as long as you can.
63dart likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Ok, Ill use the synthetic Pennzoil, and oil filter, have always used Fram, these still good brand to use ?.

Ben a long time since I owned a new vehicle..
post #10 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
I use FRAM and Mobil1 full synthetic. I tried the Pennzoil synthetic from natural gas and didn't like it, oil levels dropped quickly so went back to Mobil1.
Oatmeal likes this.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page