gas octane - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 03-30-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
gas octane

hey all,
what gas octane should I use on a 2019 trax ? ....would that be regular or mid grade, or does that depend on station.....
GMtec likes this.
post #2 of 14 Old 03-31-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

never mind i will look elsewhere...i saw that ppl look but no answer..fine
post #3 of 14 Old 03-31-2019, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
Try your owners manual. Mine says 87 octane, but mine is a 2016.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

post #4 of 14 Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM

the cheap low octane is good enough. back in the days if your car would start to pre-ignite or after ignition shut off the motor would stay stumbling for a few seconds that was a good indication that you needed higher octane, this little 4 banger is good with low octane.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-06-2019, 03:55 PM

The owner’s manual is a great place to start, as has been said.

I intend on keeping my Trax until the wheels fall off. Octane and fuel detergents absolutely matter over the life of the vehicle. Although designed to use regular unleaded gas, there is much better out there.

I use Shell V-Power only, from day one driving off the dealership lot. It will range between 91-93 octane. Several independent studies have shown increased efficiency and gas mileage, and less wear, for vehicles running premium 91+ octane fuel. A more efficient engine, burning less deposits and using less fuel, is better for the environment.

Shell V-Power has the highest concentration of polyetheramine (PEA), which is a fuel detergent. Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner, by Chevron, has the highest concentration of PEA for any fuel additive; I drop one bottle in the tank every 60 days.

Hope that helps!
post #6 of 14 Old 05-29-2019, 08:52 AM

This makes sense to me now after experiencing a rough idling issue. I just moved to a new city a month ago and there is a WaWa right down the street that I found convenient for gas. In my old city I exclusively filled up at Sunoco, thinking if it’s good enough for NASCAR it’s good enough for. I had no idea there was a thing known as Top Tier fuel, moreover, I had no idea my Sunoco was Top Tier. This idling issue only started after 4 or 5 tanks of WaWa fuel, which isn’t top tier. I have a service appointment tomorrow to have my turbo replaced and to have idling issue checked. Think I’ll run down to Shell for V power and a bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner to see if that has an affect....
post #7 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 01:53 AM

Personally I avoid most places that would classify as selling 'unbranded' like a WaWa, Sheetz, Speedway, etc.. The price and convenience is the best part of them, but the quality of the product is not up to snuff in my opinion. The detergents used are a very generic blend of government required cleaners, but you never know what the carrier hauled in those tankers before coming there. If they didn't remember which compartment had diesel fuel inside, you can potentially ruin 8,000+ gallons of gasoline and a whole lot of cars.

In my short time with my AWD Trax, i found it runs best on the 89-91 octane range. I've burned full tanks from 87 octane to 93 octane, and there's a noticable difference between the way the engine handles them. 87 (24/34) gave pretty much normal performance and gas milage, 89-91 (26/35) makes it feel a little more responsive and actually boosted my milage nearly 2 mpg over the course of a tank, but 93 octane gave me intriguing results.

Basically the 93 (23/33) performed great, and the biggest difference in the responsiveness was the boost coming from the turbo. You can really feel the increase in power as pressure builds, but consequently I actually lost 1 mpg from the 87 octane numbers. I almost wonder if it burns off too clean at that octane rating and feels like it has to add a bit more fuel than normal to keep the ratios right.

Who knows, either way you'll find my tank filling up right in the middle of the selections. I've run practically all my cars on mid-grade for over 20 years now, seems like that's the right course to stay with this one also.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 06:41 PM

the one i used when my Trax was being serviced said 87 octane and really unless your buying from a unknown retailer why would you spend the extra cash if you didn't have to unless of course you had bought a tune for it then well yes i would say yes to the middle grade or higher.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-06-2019, 12:59 PM

If an extra 15-20 cents per gallon helps prolong the life of the turbo and engine as a whole, i think it's a small price to pay for me. Since my average fill-up is 10 gallons or less, i pretty much only spend an extra $1.50-$2.00 every two weeks. I lose more than that in change sitting on the couch or recliner. It's not much different than people who run regular 87 and put whatever brand of engine/fuel system cleaner that they prefer, a number of which recommend a bottle every other fill-up.

So for $36-$48 per year, i save myself a round trip to the parts store, buying something that costs just as much as my gas price difference or even double the $3-$4 monthly cost isn't as economical as many people think.in all my vehicles I've only had one fuel pump die, and that's a 20 year old Subaru with 189k on the odometer.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-14-2019, 11:10 AM

Thanks all for help !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page