Handling - Chevy Trax Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 10-18-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Handling

Hello,

I just bought a used 2016 AWD Trax LT, and I think it's a neat little car that handles really well - you can toss it around through corners like a little sports car, and it responds with aplomb. Does anyone here find it curious that reviews out there uniformly state that the card handles poorly and/or that it can't take corners well? Seems like those reviews might have been made by people who actually didn't spend any time in the Trax.

Just curious about your thoughts on the differences between reviews and reality.
post #2 of 15 Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM

I have a 2019 AWD LT myself and absolutely love it, even with the opinions of ”reviewers” and their attempts to dissuade me from buying one. It fits my needs for a family of four, it's primarily used for city driving, which is where it truly excels; but even on the highway at speeds approaching 80+ mph, it handled the road just fine.

Every review I saw kept saying "too much body roll, not enough power for merging, takes too long to get to 60 mph, it's just not exciting". I call BS on all of that, because I had absolutely zero issues with mine, unless I bought the best one they ever produced. No issues with merging, I had the cruise control set at 75 or higher for about 80% of a 670 miles round-trip to and from Philadelphia, I wonder if they even drove it fast enough to get the turbo to actually make the boost be felt performance wise, and even the windiest of roads along the way didn't feel the Trax even broke a sweat.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 10-18-2019, 07:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
I find it handles and rides better than my Cobalts. MPG is great and you can park this thing anywhere. I like both my Trax and the Encore but have more fun with the Trax.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Last edited by Traxy; 10-19-2019 at 12:21 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for confirming this. I also drive a BMW, and I want to say that, while there is no comparison acceleration-wise (any BMW has way more acceleration than anyone actually needs), the handling may be 80% of the way there. I continue to be very surprised by how well the Trax handles.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-19-2019, 05:14 AM

The biggest complaint I kept hearing is there was no feel in the steering, since it's electronic controlled it feels numb. In my experience, I think what they're missing is that little bit of lateral play in the steering, which you get from the design of the long used rack and pinion systems. The Trax is a very point and go type of steering system, whereas the moment you start turning the wheel is exactly when your wheels start turning.

That lack of lateral play may give some a sense of anxiety because they don't feel like they have complete control over the steering, meanwhile I appreciate not having to habitually adjust the wheel left and right when I'm not on a curved road. I'm actually surprised on a regular basis at how maneuverable it is with tight u-turns sliding through narrow construction zones with ease.

If there's any one thing I would like to have on the Trax, it would be how it takes certain bumps in the road when braking. At times it can cause a feeling of the ABS taking over, and you can feel the vibration through the pedal. It may just be a consequence of the short wheel base, making it more noticeable than on my Dad's Equinox but other than that I have no complaints.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Trax be nimble, Trax be quick, Trax jumped over the candlestick. Everything you guys said is truthful. Just turned in a 2018 Trax lease and purchased a brand new 2020 redline edition. Chevy Trax is the car of the future.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-19-2019, 12:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
Traction Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montkun View Post
If there's any one thing I would like to have on the Trax, it would be how it takes certain bumps in the road when braking. At times it can cause a feeling of the ABS taking over, and you can feel the vibration through the pedal. It may just be a consequence of the short wheel base, making it more noticeable than on my Dad's Equinox but other than that I have no complaints.
What you may be feeling is the traction control kicking in and activating the rear differential because you are getting air and lock-up of one of the front wheels. There's one place I hit where there's a funny multiple bump in a turn where my Trax activates every time when I'm braking and it's a weird noise and feeling at the wheel. When I take this same spot with the Encore I get nothing like this because it's front wheel drive only, I still feel the funny bump but none of the TC noise. Next time watch for the TC light...

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716
post #8 of 15 Old 10-19-2019, 08:57 PM

I think you are right about the traction control, when I ran out for lunch I decided to turn it off and drive over the section of road that I normally get the feeling and suddenly it was practically gone. It's gotta be either that or possibly the Stabilitrac system engagement, I may try turning that off also and see if that works but I know it will probably reengage automatically after that section of road.

post #9 of 15 Old 10-28-2019, 02:38 PM

I wonder if they even drove it fast enough to get the turbo to actually make the boost be felt performance wise, and even the windiest of roads along the way didn't feel the Trax even broke a sweat.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-03-2019, 06:41 PM

I have an interesting commute. I drive 50 miles one way to work. Home is at 3700 feet. Work is at 250 feet. That 50 mile commute is 30 miles mountain twisty, with about 20 miles highway. I drive very aggressive, (10-20 over the speed limit is pretty common). Even with this drive I still average between 27-28 MPG. I cannot complain about the mileage and I am constantly passing people on my commute where it is legal(ish). I am very happy with the performance (some hills I hit 4000 rpm going home) and handling. Not looking forward to the snowy drive soon.

That which does not kill me had better start running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page