Panel Gaps Anyone? - Chevy Trax Forum
post #1 of 5 Unread 11-01-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Panel Gaps Anyone?

Ok. Here I go. 2 weeks after outright purchasing my first brand new vehicle in 2 decades, I started noticing "stuff". The vehicle in question is a 2020 Silver Ice Metallic Trax Redline edition. Simply put, this mofo pops. Then I noticed the gap between the bottom corners of the rear hatch to the body didn't match. Left side gap is twice the width of the right. It was hard to see because above those rounded corners the gap between the hatch and taillights was equal. Upon further inspection, I found the right taillight was also equally offset to the right to balance the overall impression of a right hanging hatch. Which begs the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg. Am I being overly sensitive or have any of you found this to be par for the course?
post #2 of 5 Unread Yesterday, 05:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
Does your VIN start with a 3 or a K? I noticed that Trax made in Korea are really better assembled than there Mexican counterparts. Mine is mexican built and I had to adjust a lot of it. Door fitment, front bumper cover and a few other things. Even the front engine mount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716
post #3 of 5 Unread Yesterday, 08:35 PM

My Trax panels seem to be fit correctly, and looking at the VIN I noticed that it was KL indicating South Korea as the originating country. So considering the control arm recalls being sourced from the Mexican production line, I guess I lucked out with the Korean made model.

post #4 of 5 Unread Yesterday, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I checked and indeed the VIN begins with a 3. I peeked at the VIN of an almost identical Trax in the parking lot whose gaps were perfect and golly gee it began with a K. Lol. You sure know your stuff Traxy! Knowing I'm not the only one gives me some comfort as I can be quite anal about such things, just ask my wife. Do you think it's worth taking to the dealer to correct? My only concern is they will scratch the paint or screw something else up by messing with it.
post #5 of 5 Unread Today, 07:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
I know what you mean about the dealer. I brought my new Buick for a simple warranty repair and they dropped the prop rod on the right fender and chipped the paint. Then they had the audacity to say it wasn't them. Well that didn't go over to well. I just tweaked mine whenever I had time and felt up to the challenge. Did the front bumper first because that really annoyed me and had to align the hood to match after. But now it's straight. Then did the driver's door and killed 2 birds with one stone. It stopped the wind noise I was getting at highway speeds and now when I close the door the top right corner sits exactly at the same height as the front of the back door corner. As for the engine mount I just figured it out when I had the water pump replaced. It was sitting too much to one side and sometimes it would rub and send a vibration inside the cabin but only in certain conditions. Now I'm happy with the assembly of my Trax.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page