Replacing Antenna - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Replacing Antenna

Got a surprise today when the garage door decided to come down on the Trax as we were backing out. It took out the antenna and broke the base. I need to know how to remove the interior parts and headliner to get at the wiring and whatever else holds it on. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance
post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 PM

Long and tedious, but start by removing the pillar covers around the rear door frames and in the hatch area, then you should be able to get the back portion of the headliner to come down far enough to work on it.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I assume they pop off like everything else on modern cars. I see 2 button thingys across the top rear. Those probably hold up the edge there. Will give it a try in daylight. Dealer prices on these parts are about double what the internet vendors offer.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-08-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update. No dealer within an hour and a half drive has one of there antenna bases. The one that does have it wants full retail. They all are telling me "No parts coming in due to GM strike". I find that hard to believe cause most parts like this are made by a third party vendor who must have enough inventory on hand to cover a few weeks supply. Sounds like they are all in cahoots. I ordered one through a web site at half the cost. We will see how that works out. One of the dealer parts guys was nice enough to show me the parts breakdown how it is mounted. I have years of experience with diagnosing and repairing mechanical things so am confident I can repair this.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-09-2019, 02:38 PM

My question about that would be; what does a GM strike by US workers mean exactly for parts made in Korea, China, and Mexico?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-10-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montkun View Post
My question about that would be; what does a GM strike by US workers mean exactly for parts made in Korea, China, and Mexico?
my point exactly.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Most likely is that the parts are outsourced and delivered to dealers. By truck. Teamsters Union won't cross picket lines so parts don't get delivered. This strike affects a lot of people. Wouldn't surprise me if the government steps in (again).
post #8 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM

I really feel like they could have easily had one in the back, since we all know GM likes to reuse as many parts between vehicles as possible. The only difference is probably the overall shape of the surrounding cover, which is generally the only thing that is vehicle specific.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page