2016 trax LT AWD Third Brake light not working - Chevy Trax Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Traxy

post #1 of 7 Old 08-28-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2016 trax LT AWD Third Brake light not working

friend was following me home last night told me that the third brake light was not working.

When he showed me while I was at the rear of the car, the third brake light flashed very shortly when
he pressed the brake peddle the regular brake lights came on and stayed on while he had his foot on the brake peddle... then he pressed the brakes again and nothing from the third brake light, but the regular lights worked properly...

any ideas as to where to start ??? I did not see a specific fuse for the third brake light listed in the manual.
post #2 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 09:39 AM

I would start at the connection with the brake light switch, then check the connection at the third brake light. You may have a bit of corrosion on the contacts and it's not allowing the power to go through in a steady flow. Hopefully the connections just need cleaned, but worse case is the switch is failing.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
Uh!.... It used to be that simple but now everything is controlled by the BCM ( Body Control Module ) All three brake lights are lit by separate commands from the BCM. You will notice that there is only one filament in the tail light bulb. Pulse modulated for tail light and full 12 volts for brake mode.

Montkun likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Last edited by Traxy; 08-29-2019 at 03:28 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 05:37 PM

That makes it all the more fun now. I thought they stopped forcing stuff like that through the BCM's years ago, just out of general safety concerns. Leave it to engineers to design a 'better' switch/relay system, the overcomplicating of simple functions always astounded me.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have power when the brakes are on at the conector just before the third brake light

so it must be the light

how do i get it out ?
post #6 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
well I got the spoiler off it is held on by 4 black screws 2 each side, and 3 silver nuts all under the center trim piece.

I also loosened the plastic side rear window glass covers. Then you give it a couple of hits with the heel of your hand upwards and the remaining plastic clips will release. there are black foam rubber washers under each of the studs, clips, and screws to seal out water.

Then disconnect the washer hose and electrical connector then the rubber grommet that the wires and washer hose runs thru and lift away from the car. there are 3 torx head screws holding the lamp assy in the spoiler. the part # for the replacement lamp is # 95151129

Got Genuine GM part off ebay for $35.00 GM Parts wants $80.00 so look around before you pay full price.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-30-2019, 06:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
Did you take any pictures?

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page