Bad gas removal - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-08-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Bad gas removal

Situation, I put bad gas in my wifes 2017 trax awd. Drove a half mile the ran rough, engine light and stability? message came on. barely made it back home, car dies. checked gas source and found watery gas in bottom of fuel can. I put four gallons of this stuff in the car. I am looking for the quickest/best way to remove the gas from the tank. I am thinking of disconnecting the fuel line under the car and jumping the fuel pump to let it pump out the bad gas. Any other ideas or tips would be appreciated. TIA Scrooged PS Yes I currently reside in the dog house. But I have internet!
post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

Disconnecting a fuel line would definitely be a help if you're able to pump it out safely, just remember that if the car started running bad, it's already made it's way into the engine.

Without removing anything at all, i would buy about 4-5 bottles of Gas Line Antifreeze. It's basically just isopropyl alcohol, but less diluted than rubbing alcohol. Also i would get a much higher quality gasoline from a good gas station and put it on top of it all, i would use the highest octane premium available but that's your choice.

Then go with 2 bottle of the antifreeze, then some fresh gasoline. Run about half of it out, add another bottle of antifreeze and top off with fresh gas. Hopefully by this point you cleared up the problem and have a bottle or two left. Try running through the entire tank of gas now and when you're close to empty, add another bottle and fill the tank with gas and you should be good to go from now on.
post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Montkun, That is def the plan after the bad fuel is out. For now I need to know how to jumper the fuel pump to run continuously as I have disconnected the fuel line and it will not gravity feed or push out with air pressure. It is going to need to pump its self out with the in tank pump.

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 04:02 AM

Is your Trax a push button start or keyed ignition?

Keyed ignition is easy, just turn the key to the run position. You should be able to hear the fuel pump kick on when you do so. You may have to do it a few dozen times, but it should try to force pressure to the line and push the water out like a spitting camel.

Push button is a little different for me because this is my first one, but i think the process is going to be similar. Push the button without pressing the brake pedal, the dash lights up like it's going to run so that should trigger the pump to try and build pressure. Press the start button off and open the drivers door, repeating that sequence of events until you think you hit a good spot.

If those are too slow of a process for you, check under the back seats or directly behind the seat backs for an access panel to the fuel pump. Then you just have to figure out what you need to do to force it to run.

Last edited by Montkun; Today at 04:15 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page