need help. uneven tire wear after replacing lower control arm - Chevy Trax Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
need help. uneven tire wear after replacing lower control arm

Replaced one of the lower control arm in local dealership less than 2 months ago.
Drove 3k miles. I just found that both front tires have bad outside wear.
I felt the returnability is weaker than before, and the steering wheel won't return if I turn all the way to one side, e.g., parking L spots.
I went to the dealership again today. They said that the alignment was fine. The advisor said he needs to "do some research".
Does anyone have similar problem? Any suggestion?

2017 Trax LT
post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 03:32 PM

I had to take mine back after the new lower control arms "settled". The "toe" was off and would pull to the right. (Same side that it was pulling to before). You may need to push hard for it but if you can prove you had rotated the tires, maintained propper pressure etc... Then in my opinion the tires should be replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
That which does not kill me had better start running.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 07:16 PM

Sounds like final tightening was done in the air so when it hit the ground the outer edge is getting more contact than the inner edge. Done right, you get all bolts to 90% tight, move it to an alignment rack and do the final tightening then with the vehicle 'settled' in normal driving position.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 08:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Traxy Send a message via MSN to Traxy Send a message via Yahoo to Traxy
I'd say your dealer **** up. New control arms should not affect the feel of the car at all.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!!!

Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 08:56 PM

I disagree. Mine was pulling before the repair.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montkun View Post
Sounds like final tightening was done in the air so when it hit the ground the outer edge is getting more contact than the inner edge. Done right, you get all bolts to 90% tight, move it to an alignment rack and do the final tightening then with the vehicle 'settled' in normal driving position.
I did my service in (another) dealership right before that. I have a copy of the inspection record showing they did tire rotation and also measured the depth of tire threads. It seems that they pulled the record from GM.
I went back to this one simply because I bought my trax there and the time better fits into my schedule. But it seems to be a big mistake.

2017 Trax LT
post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxy View Post
I'd say your dealer **** up. New control arms should not affect the feel of the car at all.
yeah. that's what I thought too. there must be something wrong to what they did.

2017 Trax LT
post #8 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montkun View Post
could be.
In that case, should the problem only appear on the side the replaced? (they only replaced the passenger side). But both front tires were worn in the same way.

2017 Trax LT
post #9 of 9 Old 11-25-2019, 03:50 AM

I don't know or understand why they would only do one side, especially under a recall situation. If one side is showing failure, due to design or assembly, it not only makes sense but is more cost effective long term to replace both. The possible liability alone for a dealership to do that boggles my mind, especially if you bought it from them.

As for the tire wear, if it's not related to them screwing around with front end parts; then they just swapped your wheels and tires with someone else in the shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Trax Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page