Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy either a 2017 Chevrolet Trax for my wife. I've heard earlier models are known for leaking oil and breaking pistons. Has this issue been fixed for the 2017 edition? Looking for advice. Any mechanics out there that can weigh in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking to buy either a 2017 Chevrolet Trax for my wife. I've heard earlier models are known for leaking oil and breaking pistons. Has this issue been fixed for the 2017 edition? Looking for advice. Any mechanics out there that can weigh in?
I'm not a mechanic but I do have a 2017 LT with 21K miles (bought used at 17K). Haven't noticed any oil leaks or consumption - no engine problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
One in a thousand experience problems. Buy with that in mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a chevy sonic 2013 85k miles with same engine and have no issues with oil consumption or leaks that why I bought a 2017 trax has same engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Now that they have ironed out all the kinks in the luv engine...lol

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
Wonder if this will lead to engine swaps for out of warranty guys trying to drag as many horses out of the Trax as possible. I imagine it has the same mount and bolt patterns since it's been used in the Encore as the upgrade engine for the past few model years.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Turbo has an external waste gate so don't know if the ECM firmware would handle it without some kind of tune. I wonder if they upgraded the piston specs and tolerances to handle the extra boost?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts