Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The year of the recall, hows this for a figure, 1 out of every 5 vehicles is subject to recall...

Now, CNN Money is reporting that 2014 has seen a total of 544 recalls, or about two a day, so far. Those recalls have afflicted 52 million vehicles, or about one in every five on US roads. Disturbing as that figure may be, it's made worse by the fact that 2014 has easily eclipsed the previous record of 30.8 million units back in 2004. With another ten weeks left in the year, there remains a solid chance that this year will double the previous total.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/20/recall-record-2014-report/

·
Registered
556 Posts
It is pretty incredible when you take a moment to look at the whole thing. 1 in 5 cars recalled. That means that 1 in 5 cars had a potentially harmful defect in them. That is crazy! I just think it is weird that this doesn't seem like a bigger deal. Are there any changes in regulations that are aiming to stop this from happening in the future?

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you've been paying attention to the recalls you will of noticed that there was a multitude of them that were actually in no way harmful.

What changes can they make to regulations that will eliminate issues in manufacturing, thats beyond impossible, its asinine. The only changes they could make to regulations to stop this from happening in the future is to remove all liability from the automakers. Do that and they'll never issue another recall again ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
It is pretty incredible when you take a moment to look at the whole thing. 1 in 5 cars recalled. That means that 1 in 5 cars had a potentially harmful defect in them. That is crazy! I just think it is weird that this doesn't seem like a bigger deal. Are there any changes in regulations that are aiming to stop this from happening in the future?
When it comes to the american market, aside from the NHTSA i'm not sure if there are any other organizations that could push regulations on car makers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Only person who makes an impact in auto regulations is Ralph Nader, and now he doesn't have much of a bite. NHTSA seems like it is beefing up a bit more but I think that will fade. Pretty sure there is some regulatory capture going on in the auto industry.

·
Registered
111 Posts
. Pretty sure there is some regulatory capture going on in the auto industry.
Since the first model T rolled off Henry Fords assembly line this has been the case. Who do you think writes the regulations, certainly not the bureaucratic hacks who enforce the regulations. GM has Amway Bob permanently positioned in DC whispering in influential ears, and thats just what we're allowed to see...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Since the first model T rolled off Henry Fords assembly line this has been the case. Who do you think writes the regulations, certainly not the bureaucratic hacks who enforce the regulations. GM has Amway Bob permanently positioned in DC whispering in influential ears, and thats just what we're allowed to see...
along with adding those folks in power on their payroll :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
I mean it seems like the NHTSA isn't that effective given all the oversights they've proven to have. Do you trust the industry to self regulate, or would they make decisions that would put their customers in danger? (maybe history already gives us the answer to this.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I doubt they would make decisions that would put their customers in danger, there are situations where that seems to be the case but i doubt it... that sort thing can backfire...don't want to start counting bodies.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What makes you say they may not be effective? anything other than this that factors in that?
Another thing that bothers me about the NHTSA is that they only crash test a sampling of vehicles and other than that they trust the automakers to do it themselves. The EPA takes a similar strategy with fuel mileage testing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts