Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

I know there's a similar thread, however I want to post a clean one where I can explain this particular problem with my car.

Last year from the interior I began to hear a squealing or grinding noise coming from the vents. Six months later (2 months ago) I noticed that the air conditioner began to blows hot air. Going to the mechanic, noticed that was out of gas. In the workshop I got refilled the gas with a dye and received instructions to come back in a couple of months if the problem persist, so that with the dye can reveal if there's a leak.

A month later (today), the same issue. Gas almost empty and the mechaninc immediately told me that the Evaporator needed to be replaced (without seing it I guess, because the Evaporator is almost hidden). Yes, the Evaporator!!! Need to leave the car a couple of days in order the mechanic remove the whole dashboard (including the steering, speed metter, Radio, etc.). Labour (including parts) cost $500. Considering that an OEM Evaporator cost no more than $200 and generic (AC Delco) less than $100, car never being hit from a car accident and being the car from 2013, could be possible an Evaporator issue?

Any similar experience?

P.S. I did some research HERE.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
That's entirely possible, I've seen a number of evaporators go bad over the years, mostly due to the drain line clogging up over time and the trapped water eventually rots them away. Wouldn't imagine it happening in such a short time period, but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's entirely possible, I've seen a number of evaporators go bad over the years, mostly due to the drain line clogging up over time and the trapped water eventually rots them away. Wouldn't imagine it happening in such a short time period, but stranger things have happened.
Hi.

You were right. Mine have 6 years + 45,000 Km. Yes that amount of Km, because I take most of the time public transport like subway in workdays.

Doing some research and several calls to the car dealer in my country, I noticed that there was a "silent" recall for Trax previous generation that were still under warranty to replace the AC Evaporator that came with issues from factory. I said "silent" recall because was never announced to the customers until reached them with the problem before expired their warranty (I think the amount of Km ran is involved and from a normal driver can be reached in a couple of years, no more. Now I got it).

To make the story short, I bought the original AC Delco replacement here (
) and installed it! By the way way and once again and I don't know if applies to other coutries, but the dealer told me that there are more defective factory parts that I need to keep an eye so far in order to be replaced soon: Thermostat (already replaced and reported somewhere in this forum), Shift button (already replaced and reported here (https://www.traxforum.com/forum/393-interior/7947-gear-shifter-button-issue-repair.html), AC Compressor, Wiper Blades and Suspension Springs (These last two I need to replace soon, because is giving me issue after the second year of purchased the vehicle).

Regards.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 Chevy Trax is blowing really hot air. Last year was hit in the front passenger side and started having problems a couple months after it was “fixed” haha, anyway it just passed 45k miles and now seems there’s something wrong with it. Don’t know what to do.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Take it to and AC shop. They'll find the leak you'll have Cold air again.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
My guess would be that the condenser was damaged, which wouldn't be unusual after a passenger side impact.

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts