Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Chevrolet Trax with 57,000km (35,000 miles)
I guess my first question is what is everyone's opinion on ride comfort. I don't remember mine from new but now I feel like I am jolted every time I hit a bump.
I have replaced my front struts with Monroe strut assemblies so new strut, strut mounts and springs.
I was told my rear shocks were leaking so I replaced the rear shocks with Gabriel G511030 shocks.
I feel like a semi truck rides smoother than my tracks. I was pondering the idea even though it's both expensive and a waste of money on replacing the rear shocks back to oem but will be very mad if it doesn't help. Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
The are a few things that may be the cause of a stiffer ride than before.

1. Over the years you and the Trax have become extremely comfortable with each other, and now that you have new struts and shocks you can feel the change more than others do.

2. The replacements are theoretically built moreso for overall durability as compared to the factory versions that are tuned for more comfort. They may wear in over time and be more comfortable, but what that timeframe is would be hard to determine.

3. This is a long shot because I'm not necessarily familiar with this type of suspension setup, but could the torsion bar be worn and causing extra travel than it did in the past. Did the rear coils get replaced with the rear shocks, because the aftermarket coils aren't as strong in most cases as the OEM.

I have a 2019 that i bought new, and while it's no luxury vehicle on the road by any stretch of the imagination, I've never really feel like I'm being thrown around or been jarred by a bump.

I should also mention that my street is brick and cobble stone, and has various dips and peaks like a 100 years old road would. I know how to negotiate the street to minimize bumps, but i haven't had any problems with the ride on highway or just around my always under construction town.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Now this is my personal opinion only. Monroe and Gabriel don't make shocks or struts for the Trax, They make items that fit but are not designed for the Trax. You would have been better off ordering ACDelco replacement or OEM.

Depending on options, FWD or AWD or fully loaded there are 3 sets of struts alone for the front

Same with rear...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The only reason I did not go with OEM which I personally perfer is that at the mileage on my tracks i should not in any way need new struts and shocks. I felt because of this oem sucked lol. Of course with OEM you also don't really get a warranty and the prices are all double or triple. No springs were replaced on the rear just the shocks. I will try new rear oem shocks as they are the cheaper of the two and see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Trax LS Black Cherry AWD 1.4L Turbo ( LUV )
3 Posts
A thought:

The Buick Encore is a more luxurious version of the Trax, perhaps Buick shocks and struts would ride better? Assuming they'd fit, although I don't see why they wouldn't. Example - the 2021 Buick Encore rear shock GM part number is 95271438, while the Chevy Trax is 95440473. The Buick front strut numbers vary according to FWD vs AWD, as an example, the Trax AWD left strut is 95440471, while the Buick left AWD strut number is 95266854. The pictures of the parts look identical, I'd think the only differences would be in the how soft or stiff the parts are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts