Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend bought a 2014 Trax LTZ brand new and now we have an issue with a cracked rear differential. There is 130000 km on the vehicle. Apparently this is a known problem...when I called the salvage yard and told him what I was looking for his reply was "oh they crack"...that was before I told him mine was cracked. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
If they don't crack road salt corrodes them through from the top. I cleaned mine as best I could and poured JBWeld in there hoping it will save it. Meanwhile I have an APB to find a replacement one because a new one is stupid expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they don't crack road salt corrodes them through from the top. I cleaned mine as best I could and poured JBWeld in there hoping it will save it. Meanwhile I have an APB to find a replacement one because a new one is stupid expensive.
This one did crack ...I cleaned it up and put the JB Weld to it. Started leaking again yesterday...probably from the top as it was quite corroded when I fixed it...

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Yeah you'd probably have to remove it and give it a good going over. A new one is almost $3000.

Or you could just remove it and the drive shaft and go front wheel drive for the rest of your Trax's life.

Unless you really need 4X4 in your area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah you'd probably have to remove it and give it a good going over. A new one is almost $3000.

Or you could just remove it and the drive shaft and go front wheel drive for the rest of your Trax's life.

Unless you really need 4X4 in your area.
Bretts quoted me $3195 for the complete unit...the girlfriend would never go for FWD...she loves her unit in the snow...I wonder how big a job it is to remove?

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Are you from Fredericton or Sussex?

Isn't that bad to remove if you have a lift and patience.

Front wheel drive Trax' are actually surprisingly good in snow with winter tires.
I add my drive shaft off all summer and it doesn't affect Stabilitrak

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you from Fredericton or Sussex?

Isn't that bad to remove if you have a lift and patience.

Front wheel drive Trax' are actually surprisingly good in snow with winter tires.
I add my drive shaft off all summer and it doesn't affect Stabilitrak
I live in Oak Bay...grew up in Sussex...you in Moncton?

I never can find many YouTube videos on the Trax...do you know of any site that does?

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Yeah, I'm in Magnectic Hill just off of the #2 right on Lutz Mountain.
Not a lot on YouTube yet, they always refer to Cruze or Sonic but none of these are AWD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm in Magnectic Hill just off of the #2 right on Lutz Mountain.
Not a lot on YouTube yet, they always refer to Cruze or Sonic but none of these are AWD.
Did you get a quote on a new one for under $3000? And where?

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
No that was just an approximate number I heard. A junkyard one goes for $300 if you can find a good one. None on ebay that I saw last week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No that was just an approximate number I heard. A junkyard one goes for $300 if you can find a good one. None on ebay that I saw last week.
I guess if we found a southern one it might not be corroded...I wonder if anything could be done prior to installing to keep it from happening in the future...

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
JBWeld the heck out of it I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Was there a 2014 Trax?

GM#42745856 is the replacement number and is an ouch at the cash register,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was there a 2014 Trax?

GM#42745856 is the replacement number and is an ouch at the cash register,
Not in the USA as far as I know but there was here in Canada...I believe there was a 2013 here as well...they had the Buick Encore in the USA

·
Registered
3 Posts
My girlfriend bought a 2014 Trax LTZ brand new and now we have an issue with a cracked rear differential. There is 130000 km on the vehicle. Apparently this is a known problem...when I called the salvage yard and told him what I was looking for his reply was "oh they crack"...that was before I told him mine was cracked. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
yes we live in quebec canada and my wife bought one 2013 3 years ago and we found out today some oil on the ground and that is also the same problem,and we have to look to get a replacement but we cannot find it in canada do you have a suggestion where to get one at a decent price my mechanic is telling me it will cost $1300cdn and he says it comes from california,and we are without a car for min 2 weeks,
my wife likes the car and so do i a little bit noisy but its nice,,
hopefuly i will find one a better price somehow,
gilles

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes we live in quebec canada and my wife bought one 2013 3 years ago and we found out today some oil on the ground and that is also the same problem,a crack from the top and it really drips look at the picture ,,,cannot drive the car ,
and we have to look to get a replacement but we cannot find it in canada do you have a suggestion where to get one at a decent price my mechanic is telling me it will cost $1300cdn and he says it comes from california,and we are without a car for min 2 weeks,
my wife likes the car and so do i a little bit noisy but its nice,,
hopefuly i will find one a better price somehow,
gilles

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
if anyone can direct me to where i can find one for my 2013 trax at only 60,000k on it to replace the rear axle awd differential ,it would be appreciated ,we need one yesterday
thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if anyone can direct me to where i can find one for my 2013 trax at only 60,000k on it to replace the rear axle awd differential ,it would be appreciated ,we need one yesterday
thanks
We had a local salvage yard keep watching for one out of the south...found one out of California...I think it ended up being $1035 Canadian shipped to NB. Only took our mechanic 1.5 hours to replace...it was low mileage (equivalent to 74,000 km) and very clean. Now I just spray it down with Rust Check a couple times a year (especially the top where the salt and dirt will lay) so hopefully it doesn't corrode again and crack.

You could just remove the drive shaft and go front wheel drive until you find a new one if you don't want your vehicle laid up for that long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts