Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 trax, Only has about 67000 miles on it. Took it in for an oil change, oil was leaking, only had about 2 qts left. Not sure when it started exactly, as there's never been oil on ground. They couldn't actually work on it that day, so they topped off my oil and said I was okay to drive. Two days later, car starts shaking- starts to act like it's going to stall (mostly when sitting on brake). Turned off for an hour, opened hood and it was so hot that I couldn't even touch the bar to hold up the hood. Next time I turned it on, was smoking a little. Next day, Took it in for diagnostic and they say my camshaft actuators are bad, and that I need to take it to the dealer because they don't have the tools to fix it; also, I'll probably need a timing belt because they often get saturated with oil when this happens- Told me I shouldn't drive it . I'm currently waiting to have it towed to the dealer, but want to know as much as possible before they look at it. I don't know much about cars, but I feel like my engine light should be on with this issue, it is not ( but it does illuminate when I turn it on sono faulty light). I've tried to figure out what causes this issue as well, and most explanations I've found indicate bad parts; or wear and tear- which I just feel like 67000 mile should not cause. Any information/insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Trax has a timing chain, I would get a second opinion if the first garage don't have socket tools to change actuators. Doubt it is actuators. Is your coolant reservoir full? Does it still have oil? Sounds like your PCV regulator is perforated and you will need a valve cover. These are covered under GM memo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Not sure about coolant, I would think that would be covered under an inspection...but they didn't say anything about it. The initial check, I was down 2 qts of oil, they topped it off, but two days later it took a whole bottle; still with no puddle under my car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts