Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m not a mechanic at all but trying to find out some info. I have a 2015 trac with 65,000 miles. I just got a check engine light and on star sent me an email saying it’s a code P0420. After searching, I found the most probable cause for this is the upstream O2 sensor being faulty so I went to Auto Zone and purchased a new one (I got the OE Bosch one) I removed the old sensor, put in the new one and the light hasn’t gone out. I’ve driven it a couple of times since replacing the sensor but not very far (maybe 10 miles in total). My question is, should the light have gone out by now if the problem was the that O2 sensor or will I have to drive it more? I don’t have the OBDII reader to clear the code so was hoping if the problem was resolved, the light would go out on its own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Usually you need to wipe the code. Or you can just unhook your battery for like 30 secs. Going the battery route may reset you radio/clock/oil system though so be careful

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
OEM isn't Bosch it's ACDelco I believe, but don't quote me on that.

P0420 Engine Controls and Fuel Catalyst low efficiency.

If it was one of the HO² sensors it would have set a specific code for that particular sensor.

P0420 is very hard to diagnose. It could be as simple as a dirty air filter to a bad CAT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had this same issue last month. Unplug the battery for about 15 minutes then reconnect it. The light will go off. My exhaust was broken at the flex duct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts