Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2015 Trax with just over 27K miles on it. Drove fine for first 30 days, then check engine light came on. Code said P301, misfire on cylinder 1. Pulled plug & found corrosion, replaced plug, coil & boot on that cylinder. Driving home hit slight hill and car starts to shudder. Won’t accelerate properly in D, but I’m able to run through all 6 gears in manual mode.

should I replace the whole ignition coil system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a 2015 Trax with just over 27K miles on it. Drove fine for first 30 days, then check engine light came on. Code said P301, misfire on cylinder 1. Pulled plug & found corrosion, replaced plug, coil & boot on that cylinder. Driving home hit slight hill and car starts to shudder. Won’t accelerate properly in D, but I’m able to run through all 6 gears in manual mode.

should I replace the whole ignition coil system?

As a widow on Social Security Disability, living 15 miles from town, having transportation is a necessity. I feel like going to the dealership and grabbing the salesman by the throat for knowingly selling me a lemon, as he made a point of the fact he knew the guy who traded it in.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Are you still getting a P0301?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you still getting a P0301?
Yes, still have the code. Before going to town to buy the new boot, my mechanic showed me the major spark from that cylinder. I don’t know if that fried the entire ignition coil, so I’m ordering a new one to be installed along with the other 3 spark plugs.

Could this problem also be causing the total lack of power while the car is in drive? I’m using the manual mode to change gears when I HAVE to use it, but the prospect of serious transmission trouble has me very concerned because we all know those repairs are very expensive.
Thanks for your feedback and help. I’m very glad to have found this site. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
When it happened to me I just replaced the coil pack that was badly corroded. I keep a spare pack and a spare booth kit and plugs on hand. If you set a misfire code the ECM will put the engine in limp mode and shut "OFF" Stabilitrak and T/C to protect it. Maybe to protect the cat from raw gasoline, I'm not sure.

OH! and grease your boots with dielectric grease to stop the moisture from going in.

Reactions: Deedle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When it happened to me I just replaced the coil pack that was badly corroded. I keep a spare pack and a spare booth kit and plugs on hand. If you set a misfire code the ECM will put the engine in limp mode and shut "OFF" Stabilitrak and T/C to protect it. Maybe to protect the cat from raw gasoline, I'm not sure.

OH! and grease your boots with dielectric grease to stop the moisture from going in.
Thanks Tracy! I’m going to order the new ignition coil online and my mechanic will put it in, along with the other 3 new spark plugs I bought. Any recommendations for the best parts for the price?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts