Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching for people who have had this same problem, but looks like I might be on my own. I've only had my Trax for a year, bought used from a Jeep/Dodge dealership. I noticed a few weeks ago as I was backing into my parking space at my apartment that going slow, with the wheel turned hard, and snow on the ground, that suddenly my EPS light would come on and my steering would go stiff and hard as **** to move while trying to back into my spot. I let it set overnight, came out the next day to go to work and it was fine, so I didn't think anything more about it.

Fast foward to this week, we had a rather major snowstorm come thru Sunday and when I made the ultimate choice to turn around and go home instead of try to make it to work, I once again tried to back into my spot only to have that same issue happen all over again. This time, the next day, the light started off not being on but two minutes into my drive to work, it turned on and stayed on my entire drive into work. I called my dad to have him come trade me vehicles so he could take mine to have it looked at, but of course, when he picked it up and drove it home, there was no issue. I swung by the house to pick it up after work, drove it back to my apartment and parked it, no issues. Next morning I took it to a private mechanic to see if they could figure out the issue. Got a call the next day saying they couldn't replicate the problem, that it showed an alarm for power steering was stored, but without the EPS light being on, they really couldn't tell me what was wrong because it wasn't giving them anything to work with. I drove it home and then to work without any issues. Cue last night's snowstorm. I tried pulling into a parking space at the grocery store, obviously going slow, wheel cut hard to the left and a decent covering of snow on the ground and my EPS cut out on me again. I hoped it would reset itself while I was in the store, but it didn't and I had to drive home in near blizzard conditions (a 40 min trip on a clear day) without my power steering.

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealership I got it from as since it's a Chevy that I bought from a Jeep/Dodge dealership, they really don't want to deal with it and barely inspected it before selling it to me in the first place (various issues that should have been caught by them but weren't proof to how little they did anything with it while they had it). And since the issue with the EPS happens sporadically and only in the snow while making slow tight turns, it's hard for shops to diagnose the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know what causes it/how to fix it? Am I going to cry when I see the cost of repair on it if a shop can ever figure out what's wrong?

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts
Most likely something simple like corrosion on a connector. Did your local mechanic even disconnect and clean the connector to the power steering motor? Did they check your car battery to make sure it was good?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts